1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

‘04 Tundra Rear Window stuck in the up position

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Dusty B., Jul 28, 2023.

1. Jul 28, 2023 at 8:26 PM
    Dusty B.

Dusty B. [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 Silver Tundra Crew Cab
    Hello all.
    My powered rear window is stuck. It worked until about a year ago. I checked the power window lock just to make sure. We are all good there.

I hear a clicking sound when I push the switch up or down.
    I have tried a couple of suggestions from a previous thread: 1) gained access to the regulator and motor and banged on the motor housing a little; 2) I unplugged the switch that stops the window at 3/4 to try to get the regulator to reset, but nothing changed.

Can I assume that I have power going to the regulator, so I will need a whole new regulator assembly?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2023
  2. Jul 29, 2023 at 8:18 AM
    shifty`

shifty` Pattern Against User

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    (see signature for truck info)
    I'll share a couple things you'd find using search ... A few guys on here have found - at least with the side windows and possibly the rear:
    • Simply cleaning out the old grease in the workings and re-greasing with SuperLube or similar has allowed things to freely swing; the actuator/motor just wasn't able to give enough force to cut through the crud that'd gummed up over the years.
    • The "scissor" portion of the window was slightly bent or mis-shappen OR some of the bolts of the scissor/support assembly had loosened OR a little of both - bolts had loosened, which led to something with the window support/mechanics getting bent.
    • The actuator itself had just given up the ghost; I'd recommend hitting a junkyard for an OEM swap, since many have found regulators bought online (scAmazon, fleaBay, etc.) have polarity reversed where up is down and down is up, so wire splicing is required.
    Since you have a double cab, or "crew" cab as you call it, it's kinda your job to pop that rear panel off, get in there, jiggle stuff around. If you can put your hand on the motor, and confirm it's clicking/whirring when the button is pressed, it could be interesting to do the basic diagnostic of freeing the motor from its confines to see if it spins, and if you can manually engage the rear window. I have an access cab, so mine only has the horizontal slider; I've never had to touch this stuff.

I don't know if anyone here will have a sure-fire solution for you, but one of the three bullet points above is what's solved probably 75% of all window issues for other 1st Gen members.

Welcome to the forum. You may want to check this thread before you bounce. It may answer other things you've wondered about or are dealing with but had no idea it was a "thing".

Products Discussed in

To Top