1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

'08 5.7 One Click, Won't Start

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by donatolapella, Aug 26, 2024.

1. Aug 26, 2024 at 7:47 AM
    donatolapella

donatolapella [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Donato
    Hey everyone,

I'm having some trouble with my 2008 Tundra 5.7 V8 and could use some advice.

Last month (07/06), I replaced the starter, and everything was running great until a couple of days ago. The truck was dead, so I put in a new battery. The A/C, radio, and lights all worked, but the truck still wouldn’t start with the new battery. I jumped it, and it started fine. I drove it for a few days with no issues, but then it wouldn’t start again, and this time, it wouldn’t even jump. The A/C and lights still work, and the battery is showing 12.6V.

I had everything tested at AutoZone the first time this happened. They said the battery and starter were good, but the alternator was bad, indicating a charging current failure. However, I’m not entirely convinced the alternator is the issue since it won’t even jump start now.

I disconnected the battery, cleaned the connectors, and tightened everything back up. The truck fired up with no problem after that. On startup, the voltage didn’t dip below 11.2V, and it stayed steady around 13.5-14V while driving, which seemed fine. I had the alternator tested again, and it showed a 23mV ripple.

I drove it all weekend with no issues—no dimming, stable voltage readings, everything seemed good. But this morning, the truck won’t start again. The A/C, radio, and lights all work, but I just get one click when I try to start it. It won’t jump, and even after disconnecting and cleaning the battery again, it still won’t start.

Any ideas on what could be going on? I’m stumped here.

2. Aug 26, 2024 at 7:56 AM
    snivilous

snivilous snivspeedshop.com

Member:
    SW UT
    Vehicle:
    300k+ Supercharged 2008
    How are you cleaning the battery posts and terminals? I use a wire brush and absolutely go to town on both sides. I've had similar issues where there was continuity issues at the battery connections. Doesn't quite explain why the jumper wouldn't work though...

donatolapella[OP] likes this.
  3. Aug 26, 2024 at 8:01 AM
    donatolapella

donatolapella [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Donato
    Disconnecting battery and going hard all around on it with a wire brush, loosened and cleaned up ground connection also. The no jump part is stumping me as well.

4. Aug 29, 2024 at 3:57 PM
    TexasGuyTX

TexasGuyTX New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    2007 SR5 Super White
    PRO BOX w/ RF Mono Amp Limited 20" Wheels HID's on Low Beams Tip Delete Before Axle
    my 07 just would click or do nothing earlier this year.. under the negative cable it was completely coated in surface rust... sanded a spot off truck ran fine I recently replaced both sides with new brass terminals

Products Discussed in

To Top