1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

08 Tundra 4.7L A/C doesnt cycle back on after 20min.

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by J.Naw, Aug 11, 2024.

1. Aug 11, 2024 at 9:14 PM
    J.Naw

J.Naw [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Tundra 4.7L
    SAIS bypass kit (HEWITT)
    Hello guys, New to the forum here, thought id ask as I cant seem to get a solid answer from anybody.

I've got an issue where from cold start, up to 20min or so of drive time, the A/C works great. After then, the light blinks and no more cold air.

A shop replaced the HVAC unit controller as well as another controller, but has not fixed it. (Its a company vehicle and I didn't have time to look at until now)

So, frustratingly, I started my own diagnosis. When the issue occurs, the clutch doesn't try to engage, but its receiving 12-13v directly testing at the clutch, from the relay as expected. I originally thought it was a bad clutch, so went ahead and replaced, but still the issue is occurring. Applying 12v directly to the magnetic clutch operates it just fine during this time.

The shop was trying to tell me the Amplifier is bad, although I cant see that as the clutch is receiving power to turn on. (Also telling me the relay is fine)

Looking at the wiring diagram, there is only a lock sensor along with the clutch relay that should prevent it from running, The compressor spins fine by hand.

Am I missing something? I just cant fathom why it operates fine by directly giving it 12v, along with it receiving 12v from the signal wire from amplifier, but still wont engage the clutch?

2. Aug 12, 2024 at 2:53 AM
    Danny3737

Danny3737 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra Limited Platinum
    Check to make sure the inside fan is running when the AC shuts off. I’d, also replace the relay since it’s cheap insurance

3. Aug 12, 2024 at 5:10 AM
    KNABORES

KNABORES Sarcasm incoming

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited TRD AC 4X4 Thunder Grey 272k miles. 2019 Limited TRD CM 4x4 - SOLD
    Bilstein 5100's 16x8 589's with 265/75/16 and 1.25" spacers Flowmaster 50 series over the axle dump Pioneer touchscreen with backup camera Full interior and dash LED conversion Trailer brake controller with 7 pin Bedliner coat bumpers & trim ARE topper - Rhino Vortex rack
    Freon has been evacuated and weighed? Replaced with the appropriate amount of gas and oil? Pressures checked when initially running?

Mr Badwrench likes this.
  4. Aug 12, 2024 at 10:30 AM
    J.Naw

J.Naw [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Tundra 4.7L
    SAIS bypass kit (HEWITT)
    So here's the update.

Was Infact the clutch, but now the circuit is popping 10-15-25a fuses (yes I know I shouldn't upsize, testing purposes)

The used compressor the shop put in had a broken snout where the snapring holds the pulley on. The connector on the magnet was sheared off with what I can assume was movement along the snout.

Anyways, I'll see if the shop will warranty the compressor and probably run new wires from the instrument fuse box to relay and then to clutch.

Products Discussed in

To Top