1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2003 TUNDRA Steering/Alignment/Braking Help

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by 03tunradude, Jun 20, 2024.

1. Jun 20, 2024 at 1:58 PM
    03tunradude

03tunradude [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 TUNDRA
    Hey guys, really love this forum and love first gen tundras.. i have learned a lot here.. but im running into an issue and i need help.

I purchased a 2003 tundra 180K 4.7 4x4. It needs a lil love. Im a decent mechanic i have always wrenched on my trucks and feel confident in my abilities.

I thought the alignment was way out of wack, which it was and shook to hell when braking. It needed tires so i purchased some new tires had it aligned at a shop. They said it was good to go. It still pulled wayyy to the left. Whatever long story, i just moved on.

I noticed that the truck has way more of a turning radius when turning left than to the right. I thought this was odd.. maybe the steering rack wasn't centered seeing how it looks appears to be newer. maybe the last dude didnt center it idk.

Since I was going to pull it off and re-center I might as well replace a few things while im there.
    OEM LBJ
    Moog Tie Rod Ends x2
    Steering rack bushings (suspension dudes)
    New Right Rotor (OEM)
    New brake caliper (upon removal i noticed it was siezed.) - autozone

Anyway I removed rack and pinion, centered the steering rack, and tried to put it back when i realized it would the grooves wouldnt match with steering shaft coupler (idk if thats what its called) but it wouldnt line up. So i had to turn it about 25 degrees so it would line up.

I put all components back together.
    Bled Brakes
    Torqued everything. Etc.

Attempted to somewhat align but realized i cannot toe in my right tire any further as i am on like the LAST 3 threads with tie rod on right side....

Took for test drive.

Drives straight actually but loose seems sketchy. New LBJ feel good.
    Right tire still shakes like a bat out of hell when braking.
    Still has more of a turning radius to the left than the right.

any input would be great i appreciate any help.
    -shawn

2. Jun 20, 2024 at 2:26 PM
    bmf4069

bmf4069 Yup, that's a whole ass truck in a dishwasher

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    TX
    Vehicle:
    02 AC sr5 4wd v8
    All the bass
    Sounds like you need to pull the rack out and center it. Get your tie rods the same number of turns and close to 0, get it all put together again, then pull your steering wheel and put it back on straight. I'd also recommend replacing both sides on the brakes. Are the tires balanced correct?

3. Jun 20, 2024 at 4:22 PM
    assassin10000

assassin10000 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    '05 SR5 AC
    Remote start alarm Removed keyless entry piezo Qi phone charger & dash mount Subaru underseat subwoofer Hopkins Easylift Steering wheel audio controls No-tenna mod 3/4 adhesive anti-rattle shim D/S door
    Basically.

Remove boot from pass side, turn until it stops, measure from inside edge of inner tie rod to rack housing.

Divide measurement in half and set rack to that measurement.

Pop steering joint off rack, set wheel center and reinstall. Get an alignment.

Nope. The tie rods 99% of the time are NOT even turns apart. Rack, subframe, frame, spindle, control arms, etc. Can all have an offset, which sets things off to one side or the other.

bmf4069[QUOTED] and Mr.bee like this.
  4. Jun 20, 2024 at 5:08 PM
    Mr.bee

Mr.bee King Turdra

Member:
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    '02 AC TRD
    The rack bolt solid, it only goes where it can go. Unless its missing the bolts. Assass is right, the steering range might not be centered. Be careful with the steering wheel so you dont damage the clock spring or whatever its called.

also, brake vibrations & pulling to one side while braking is more likely to be a caliper problem. Also, get the rear brake adjustment dialed in.

bmf4069 likes this.
  5. Jun 20, 2024 at 8:19 PM
    bmf4069

bmf4069 Yup, that's a whole ass truck in a dishwasher

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    TX
    Vehicle:
    02 AC sr5 4wd v8
    All the bass
    Yeah, that sounds a lot easier than pulling the rack. Do this instead.

Products Discussed in

To Top