1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2014 AC no bueno

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by blancatundra, Jul 22, 2024.

1. Jul 22, 2024 at 6:25 PM
    blancatundra

blancatundra [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JJJ
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra Crewmax SR5 TRD
    BFG KO AT2 stock size tires
    Hello ALL!
    I've got an AC problem on my 2014 Tundra Crewmax SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7LV8. original owner, 10 yrs old, ac almost always running.

Here for some help, please! (I've searched a bit in the forum and read some ac topics but nothing seemed to fit my problem so here's my situation.)

Back story to diagnosis: 3 weeks ago, driving out of town, about 2 hrs in (125 miles?) my ac, in Max manual mode, recirc on, it started blowing ambient air and had a flashing ac light on the dash. Got to destination and parked for a few hours, started truck, turned on ac and everything worked normal. 2 days later, on drive back home, same thing happened, it started blowing ambient air about 2 hrs into trip. I spoke to 2 different mechanic friends, one put a scanner on it and found no faults, heard no probs, thought it could be a relay. Over the next 2 weeks, I noticed it happened about 3 times but in shorter duration drives around town, parking while ac on and cutting out, etc. Fast forward to last week, had a 5 hr drive in record heat in CA desert to do, and the ac cut out again about 2 hours in. At a fuel stop it was 109 and blazing hot, while running I noticed it sounded terrible! Grinding, bell whistling, screetching kind of sounds. I turned ac off and called my other mechanic friend. He says, do not run ac, period and that what Iwas describing sounded like a failing compressor. So, I continue the next 3 hours of driving in record heat with no ac, going from 108 to 115 to 106 and finally my mtn destination of 82! It was insanely hot! Once in town, I tracked down a mechanic that would look at it on a Saturday. He wouldn't do much but he did hook it up to a recharge machine that drained and recharged system, and said it would show pressure in system and add freon if needed, show if system had a leak etc. So we did that, his system said:

gas recovered: 1.0lb
    oil recovered:.1oz
    vacuum time:25 min
    PAG injected 0.1oz
    gas charged 1.33 lb

After a reasonable inspection, he deemed the compressor was on its way to failure due to it sounding pretty rough upon start the ac and not to run the ac. So, that's where I am at. 2 out of 3 mechanics think the compressor is failing and the 3rd thinks it could be a relay switch, but to be fair it wasn't making those sounds when I first took it to him, so I am close to sure that he would think so as well.

What do you guys think is happening?
    What parts should I consider replacing?
    What part numbers fit those parts?

I am planning to do the work myself, as I've had some terrible luck at 2 different dealers, with the help from a mechanic friend. Done most reasonable work on it like brake pads, servicing etc.

Questions?: Since it is my DD I want it to last.
    Amazon has a Denso compressor for a couple hundred less, or OEM thru Toyota?
    I am thinking to replace the compressor out myself but not sure if I need to replace the clutch assembly with it. Toyota parts lists it seperately.
    What about the ac clutch relay?

One mechanic recommended replacing the compressor, the condensor, new hoses, serpentine belt, relay, etc pretty much all, if I was goint to take it apart.
    The other said start with just the compressor.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!
    BlancaTundra

2. Aug 1, 2024 at 10:45 AM
    blancatundra

blancatundra [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JJJ
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra Crewmax SR5 TRD
    BFG KO AT2 stock size tires
    Thanks for listening, a quick update in case anyone is in the same boat. Doing the minimum for now due to costs,
    I ordered a new compressor and clutch assembly and upper radiator hose, which just arrived!
    I plan to replace only those parts to start, with the help of an experienced mechanic friend who can evacuate the system and re charge once installed.
    Hopefully that is the answer. I'll report back again for anyone this should help, with part numbers used, etc.
    :fingerscrossed:

KNABORES and Leo's first like this.
  3. Aug 2, 2024 at 6:24 PM
    Orions Dad

Orions Dad New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra 4.7L
    I would agree with the mechanics thinking it’s the compressor and would lean on the side of replacing everything that is associated with the AC closed loop it is very possible with the compressor breaking down fragments could be loose in the system. I also agree with changing the serpentine belt especially if you haven’t done it since you are removing it you might as well put a new one back on

blancatundra[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top