1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2016 cam tower leak…extended warranty will cover it

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Adventundra, Aug 27, 2024.

1. Aug 27, 2024 at 2:39 PM
    Adventundra

Adventundra [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 Long Bed
    Cap and bed slide
    I believe I have a cam tower leak. Compared my truck to my brothers and his is clean as a whistle…mine has some obvious oil residue along gasket area viewed from front passenger wheel well. Brought to a local dealer months ago when I suspected it and they said that the engine was just “sweating” oil….pretty crazy terminology for a professional mechanic huh?? So obviously I won’t be going back there. My extended warranty guy said they cover it…& he actually used to be a Toyota mechanic and said they do plenty of those fixes….but I should research dealerships in my area who have successfully done the fix because I want it done right. Truck has 64k miles and my warranty is good through 121k miles or 9/30….so I’m in no rush.

Anyone ever have this done and how do you find a reputable dealership and know the dealership will do it right?

2. Aug 27, 2024 at 4:09 PM
    Cox3497

Cox3497 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tundra Crewmax
    If you just have residue and it’s not actively dripping, I probably wouldn’t mess with it if it were mine. I have a 2016 and had the left cam tower resealed using my Toyota extended warranty and probably should have left it alone. I think you’re better off not tearing into the engine unless really necessary. I found one of my bolts just sitting completely loose not even hand tightened, and discovered quite of bit of wire wheel debris (from them removing the old seal) on oil changes and in oil filters for at least 3 or 4 oil changes after the procedure was done (a common occurance from other people I’ve heard have the work done). In retrospect my engine would have probably been better off with leaving the minimal leak well enough alone. Just my thoughts. YMMV

3. Aug 28, 2024 at 4:59 PM
    Adventundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 Long Bed
    Cap and bed slide
    Thanks for your insight! That’s precisely what I was wondering about…more of a problem if a shitty fix occurred. I will keep a close eye on it.

AZBoatHauler likes this.
  4. Aug 28, 2024 at 5:16 PM
    WinterWarlock21

WinterWarlock21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand TRD Pro CrewMax
    https://gearproject.co/profile/SandShark21
    Hey, I had mine done around March 2023 also a 2016. Originally truck was at dealership because squirrel chewed through wire harness. They said my leak wasn't terrible but since they were diving in to fix the harness they might as well take care of it now rather than later on when it would cost more money. My extended warranty covered it too no hassle at all. Seems to be fine still. I am also in NJ and used Toyota of Turnersville. It's not the closest dealership to me but for some reason I trust them over the other one. All the service people I've had have been top notch. I'll take it to them for anything and trust them to do it right.

Adventundra[OP] likes this.
  5. Aug 28, 2024 at 5:25 PM
    Adventundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 Long Bed
    Cap and bed slide
    Oh wow!! Great info!! Thanks!! Turnersville is bout an hour south of me so it would be feasible to use them!! Thanks again and good to hear your Tundra is running smoothly!!

Products Discussed in

To Top