1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buyers Beware for 2023 Tundra!!!!!!!

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by Fenelon, Apr 22, 2023.

1. Apr 22, 2023 at 6:12 AM
    Fenelon

Fenelon [OP] New Member

Member:
    Just paid 65K for a new 2023 SR5 Tundra in Ontario, Canada. My truck was made in the US three months ago. They get you to sign the paperwork on the sales contract first before giving you a single key for the vehicle. I asked where is my second key and was told they are currently not available. So I now have a new truck with multiple users and one key! It's now been over two months and I still haven't received my second key. I called Toyota five times now . They give you a file number for your complaint and that's the end of the discussion. They tell you to have a nice day before your call is finished. On the fifth call, I asked to speak to someone higher up to get this resolved and was told I'm not allowed to speak to anyone higher. I complained to my dealership and they said there is nothing they can do - it's a decision made by Toyota to hold back your key so those chips can be used to make new vehicles. So $65K in the hole, waited 11 months for the vehicle (had to switch to 6 foot box after 11 months of waiting for a build date for an 8 foot box. If you are in Canada don't even entertain the thought of ordering an 8 foot box! It will be years before you see a vehicle as they have to switch out the line in order to run this model) and only one key. No date given for when I will get a second key. Dealership says its hands are tied!

Now comes the best part. As soon as we drive away and exceed 45mph, the noise from hell starts. Cab noise so bad it sounds like you still have two windows open. I pulled over onto the shoulder, looked over at my wife and said "You've got to be f#$%ing kidding me! . It's just as bad on her side. It gets worse as you increase your speed. At 100km/hr it is ridiculous. You have to turn up your radio and crank the cab fan to try to drown it. Now comes your window seals. Take a close look at them and you'll see a gap of about 1cm where the seal edges join. Water runs down the glass and directly into your doors! I took a hose and sure enough, the inside of the rockers gets wet in the cab! I was in disbelief.
    You signed the sales contract so you now own the truck, Toyota has your $65K and there is no refund possible.
    Then I checked the internet and saw reams of owner complaints regarding lousy leaking window and cab seals on these new trucks, severe air and road noise, and these go back THREE YEARS to the date when the new Tundras were released. Toyota has known about this defect for three years and have done NOTHING to fix it! Again I call Toyota. The same "PFO" and you're not allowed to speak to anyone higher up. There is no planned fix. I got the dealership to replace the one bad back window seal and all they do is install the same defective part. No fix. They just give you a sheepish look and tell you about the free coffee in the show room. Last truck of Toyota's I ever buy. I feel like I've been screwed by Toyota and that they intentionally sold me a vehicle that they know is defective. I've owned six Toyotas now and never again. My new truck sits in the driveway with 400km on it. I'll have a stroke if I have to listen to the cab noise during a long highway drive. Icing on the cake is that you're now the owner. No refund and a big PFO from Toyota!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2023
  2. Apr 22, 2023 at 6:16 AM
    KNABORES

KNABORES Sarcasm incoming

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited TRD AC 4X4 Thunder Grey 270k miles. 2019 Limited TRD CM 4x4 Cement Grey 75k miles
    2000: Bilstein 5100's 16x8 589's with 265/75/16 and 1.25" spacers Flowmaster 50 series over the axle dump Pioneer touchscreen with backup camera Full interior and dash LED conversion Trailer brake controller with 7 pin Bedliner coat bumpers & trim ARE topper 2019: ARE topper with full Bedrug kit and Vortex rack TRD shifter 1.25" wheel spacers (I like to live dangerously) Red tow hooks for that +15 grip bonus
    But those twin turbskies are sweet, eh?

3. Apr 22, 2023 at 6:21 AM
    xc_tc

xc_tc New Member

Member:
    Lol all doors let water in. That’s why there is a vapor barrier in the door. That’s why the door has drain holes.

The key is a valid complaint. The wind noise is valid too. The gap in the seal is not. The 2nd gen Tundra has a gap in the same spot it’s just covered up by some trim!

4. Apr 22, 2023 at 6:25 AM
    5thgen

5thgen New Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2024 limited trd crewmax
    Toyota doesn't give a shit. They know you Don't have much of a choice when it comes to trucks.

Balzac, Tom, GreatWhitePro and 3 others like this.
  5. Apr 22, 2023 at 6:28 AM
    Fatone

Fatone New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra TRD Sport Premium
    No test drive before you signed?

6. Apr 22, 2023 at 6:44 AM
    TundraWorkHorse

TundraWorkHorse New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Toyota Tundra Platinum
  7. Apr 22, 2023 at 6:46 AM
    Fenelon

Fenelon [OP] New Member

Member:
    No test drive. You're given your one key after you sign. I might as well add some more stuff. The rear cab on this new Tundra is way too small when compared to my old 2011. I'd have to measure it but it looks like it's a good 5 inches shorter. I would not want to be a passenger in the back as there is not enough leg room. This should be a big concern if you are thinking about a double cab with passengers in the back.
    I laid down in the shop when we got home to inspect the undercarriage. I didn't see any form of metal belly cover for the drivetrain. Intstead there was a piece of gray outdoor carpet, attached by bolts. I thought WTF it must be the shipping cover and they forgot to put my skid cover on. A call to the dealership revealed that this carpet is indeed the skid cover. It even has the Toyota monogram on it. It was so ridiculous I actually swore on the phone. I told them that was crazy as it offers zero protection for the tranny, transfer case, etc. The first stump, rock' or ice hump you hit and you're going to rip the rug off and trash your drive train. End of story is you get to spend another $850 to get a nice TRD metal pan from the parts dude. Keep this in mind if you are buying one.

Balzac likes this.
  8. Apr 22, 2023 at 6:59 AM
    1lowlife

1lowlife Toxic prick and pavement princess..

Member:
    First Name:
    DADA
    THE GREAT STATE OF TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DC SR5
    So are you saying you aren't happy with your purchase? :eek2:
    There is no way I'd sign for a vehicle without a test drive.

Welcome to the forum.:cool:
    EVERYTHING you've described has been thoroughly discussed in these forum pages for over 2 years..:thumbsup:

God bless...:canada:

9. Apr 22, 2023 at 7:03 AM
    KNABORES

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited TRD AC 4X4 Thunder Grey 270k miles. 2019 Limited TRD CM 4x4 Cement Grey 75k miles
    2000: Bilstein 5100's 16x8 589's with 265/75/16 and 1.25" spacers Flowmaster 50 series over the axle dump Pioneer touchscreen with backup camera Full interior and dash LED conversion Trailer brake controller with 7 pin Bedliner coat bumpers & trim ARE topper 2019: ARE topper with full Bedrug kit and Vortex rack TRD shifter 1.25" wheel spacers (I like to live dangerously) Red tow hooks for that +15 grip bonus
    I’m surprised you made such a large purchase with seemingly no research into it. You seem very unhappy with it. Sorry.

10. Apr 22, 2023 at 7:04 AM
    AWDDude

AWDDude New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Limited - Crew Max TRD Off Road 4x4
    That sucks to hear you had such a terrible experience with your new truck. Buying a new vehicle is a special time that is meant to be enjoyed. Yeah not being told about the second key was a shit move by the dealership, they should be upfront about what you are getting. However, only getting 1 key alows Toyota to sell more trucks, which helps keep the price down. And it’s by far better than what other manufacturers are doing, Chevy gives you an IOU for actual features in the truck. Again this is no excuse for the dealership not telling you before you purchased it. As for the door seals, my 23 had a bad seal on the drivers door, no leaks but it was loud on the freeway. I told my dealer about it during her first oil change, they ordered a new seal and it completely fixed the problem. If that dealership won’t fix the problem, take it to another one, and open a case with Toyota corporate.

11. Apr 22, 2023 at 7:07 AM
    bluemoon737

bluemoon737 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2023 Blueprint Tundra Platinum
    So let me get this straight. You signed a contract for a truck without doing any research what-so-ever (finding numerous complaints after the fact is on you, not Toyota). You signed the contract without driving the truck...your comment is that the dealer didn't let you drive it? Sorry, did they have a gun to your head selling you this truck? Have your family held hostage? And it's apparent that not only did you buy the truck without a test drive, you obviously bought it sight unseen since you were surprised by how small the back seat was and the "condition" of the undercarriage. And you come here and I dont know, want sympathy for your mistake? I don't get it...:rolleyes:

12. Apr 22, 2023 at 7:10 AM
    Solid Snake

Solid Snake The Anciet of Mu Mu

Member:
    West TN
    Vehicle:
    2006 AC 4x4 V8
    I'm with the "No test drive? Are you crazy?" crowd.

13. Apr 22, 2023 at 7:12 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    I received two keys on my last truck purchase. The spare key went with all the other keys and hasn't left there since 2016.

The noise is a valid complaint. A Supra was on the short list for a retirement vehicle until I found out if the side window(s) are down the noise is unbearable. Glad I did some research before purchasing.

14. Apr 22, 2023 at 7:18 AM
    Jarrow

Jarrow New Member

Member:
    The key thing kinda sucks, but I wasn’t really pissed off about it though. Didn’t really care to be honest, in all my life of owning cars, that second fob’ll sit in the junk drawer for years. We just bought a 23 Odyssey and got two fobs no problem.

Sorry about your truck though. I hate that feeling of buying something brand new only to discover that there’s something wrong with it.

In regards to Toyota, this is our first Toyota we’ve ever bought in 25 years of owning vehicles because we usually end up walking out due to the rudeness of the salesmen or staff. I swear no matter which dealership we go to its the same condescending attitude and lack of customer service, they act like they don’t need you, you need them. Its partly our fault because we don’t dress the part even though we can buy the car in cash.

It seems like Toyota just has a problem with their culture and it sounds like its the same with Toyota in Canada.

Hopefully things get cleared up quickly for you!

15. Apr 22, 2023 at 7:19 AM
    OHwendTrd

OHwendTrd Aging Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    OH
    Vehicle:
    3UR-FE
    ATF Cooler
    Meanwhile, very happy with your 2000, 2019? :fistbump:

@Fenelon have you contemplated trading it in for a 2.5 gen :) most of those problems described go away and you still don't have to do any research. Miss your 2011? Sorry things aren't going well with your new truck. Yes, Toyota should've done better and it may take a few years for them to refine everything.

Edit: no hate toward the 3rd gen folks. Many like their new trucks, perfection preferences vary.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2023
  16. Apr 22, 2023 at 7:30 AM
    BaldMenace

BaldMenace New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra SR5 Double cab
    Semms like buyers remorse. Most of those issues should have been found while test driving and looking the truck over on the lot

16TRDPRO, wedemmoez and Mattedfred like this.
  17. Apr 22, 2023 at 7:35 AM
    Mr Badwrench

Mr Badwrench New Member

Member:
    You mentioned that you've owned 6 Toyotas prior to purchasing your 2023. After owning that many, you kind of assume what you will get on a test drive. And it is kind of tough to get a great feel for the truck on a 1 hour test drive where the salesman wont shut the fuck up about how cool the radio is. I own a newer and the oldest Tundra, and the quality is not even comparable. I agree the quality is definitely getting more Yugoslavian. I still like the new Tundra though. I don't know that it would be my first choice, but they aren't bad trucks.

You will always see doom and gloom on internet forums when the new generations come out. I am not trivializing your observations, I'd be angry too.

BTBAKER likes this.
  18. Apr 22, 2023 at 7:39 AM
    Will816

Will816 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2022 Limited iForce Max TRD Off Road
    You lost me when you said the complaints go back three years. Toyota didn’t even publish a picture of the new Tundra until less than two years ago.

Sorry for your struggles. Sounds like you should have researched before you dropped that much money.

19. Apr 22, 2023 at 7:40 AM
    NoRcptn

NoRcptn Better than mediocre poster

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Platinum
    GFC, Dobinsons IMS, RW's 285/75/17
    But that new GR is getting all kinds of accolades.

MedCityMoto likes this.
  20. Apr 22, 2023 at 7:42 AM
    PBNB

PBNB TRD Crew

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2022 Limited Crewmax L
    MBM - TRD Offroad
    If the new truck doesn't work for you, take it back and get a refund.

We didn't get to see ours until we signed the papers only because they were prepping it but we did get 2 keys. We were confident enough after seeing a number of configurations that we wanted a Crewmax with at least Limited trim for the bells and whistles.

Sort of the weird "supply and demand" world we live in these days.

in_the_mud and Mr Badwrench like this.
  21. Apr 22, 2023 at 7:43 AM
    NoRcptn

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Platinum
    Man, I feel like a total putz. I've had analysis paralysis and a 3" ream of research before I bought my last washer and dryer.
    I need to live a little.

22. Apr 22, 2023 at 7:46 AM
    Mr Badwrench

Mr Badwrench New Member

Member:
    I would be a little angry about the one key situation. I mean, what am I supposed to do when my wife loses my key or when my toddler throws it down the furnace vent? Who does Toyota expect me to call when my key evaporates? That's unacceptable. At the very least, I need to be able to drive the damned thing.

23. Apr 22, 2023 at 7:47 AM
    TundraTed

TundraTed New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 TRD Sport Crewmax 4x4
    In order: Orvis dog cover for rear bench seat, OE gun safe, Husky liners front/rear, Tyger tonneau tri fold, Rough Country seat covers
    IMO you should always test drive. Multiple vehicles if possible. I test drove ~5 Tundras before l purchased - 1 off-road, 2 sport, 1 platinum if I remember correctly. They all had little subtle differences. The soft close bed door, driving straight, window speed, seat comfort, overall QA, etc. You need a few samples to notice these things.

24. Apr 22, 2023 at 7:49 AM
    NoRcptn

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Platinum

All joking aside it sucks to make a large purchase and not be happy with the item. Maybe they'll buy it back? Maybe private party? Or you might have some good luck with trade in on a discounted Chevy/Ford/Dodge. I know Chevy's around me are offering sales.

25. Apr 22, 2023 at 7:51 AM
    Adam B

Adam B New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra TRD OFF-RD LIMITED- Green
    This just sounds like consistency...good for Toyota! Still got the same shit as the one I bought.

BTBAKER and NoRcptn like this.
  26. Apr 22, 2023 at 7:56 AM
    jhtram

jhtram If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    2023 Lunar Rock Tundra Limited TRD
    OEM TRD Lift Maxxis RAZR AT LT285/65R20 tyres Spidertrax 1" Spacers Retrax Pro XR Tonneau Bumpershellz 'stache overlay TRD Pro Fender Flares Yakima Overhaul HD Bed Rack OEM Blackout Overlays aFe Front Tow Hooks Talon's Cat Shield Undercover SwingCase Toolboxes TufSkinz Console Cover (Matte black) ScreenProtech LCD and instrument cluster protectors Tailgate & bumper vinyl inserts (texas decal king)
    Honestly I've never heard of a dealer not allowing a test drive. I'd have found another dealer. First thing I did before buying my 23 was get it up to 60 mph and listen for wind noise.

I didn't get the double can because the back seat was so small. Really like the DC looks and wheel base with the 6.5' bed but the back seat was a deal breaker.

Anyway hope that you get the wind noise issue addressed.

27. Apr 22, 2023 at 7:57 AM
    Hella Krusty

Hella Krusty New Member

Member:
    Mine does none of the things you are wanking on about ....should of test drove it Karen

28. Apr 22, 2023 at 8:06 AM
    KNABORES

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    So far so good.

29. Apr 22, 2023 at 8:09 AM
    obgod3

obgod3 New Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Limited
    The Key thing sucks but this discussion is boring overall…..done with it. I dont have any issues with mine other than the key and frankly I just dont think it is a big deal. Guess some research might have been a good suggestion. Good luck.

Mattedfred likes this.
  30. Apr 22, 2023 at 8:10 AM
    PBNB

PBNB TRD Crew

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2022 Limited Crewmax L
    MBM - TRD Offroad
    I did some reading and it appears that the cooling off period for vehicle purchases is gone! Complete protection for the dealerships and nothing to protect the buyers!

So if you really don't want it, go to the consumer watchdogs like CTV News and get them to make it public about how you were treated. They usually can get policies flipped. Worth a shot and at least they will make it public about your treatment.

Most of us here on the forum already have a Tundra and understand your situation.

Products Discussed in

To Top