1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Crank No Start Misdiagnosed

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by ElkAddict, Aug 14, 2024.

1. Aug 14, 2024 at 4:51 AM
    ElkAddict

ElkAddict [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Vehicle:
    2010 CM SR5 4x4
    2010 5.7 didn’t start Saturday morning. I was about 1.5 hours from home and had it towed to the only open shop (Big O Tires…which I’m not a fan of). A couple hours later, I went by to grab some stuff out of the truck and as I was leaving the mechanic started poking around. I get a call 15 minutes later saying it’s definitely the fuel pump. I questioned the person pretty hard because I knew it would take longer to rule out other possible causes and asked them to check control the module before doing the pump. They couldn’t get to it that day and I had to leave it for the weekend (understandable for last minute). Get a call 6pm today (Tuesday…we’re still waiting for a fuel pump to arrive) and she says her main mechanic hooked it up to the bidirectional scanner, relearned the fuel pump control module, and it started right up and has been starting fine several other times since.

They think it is the fuel pump control module now but honestly aren’t sure if it is good now or if it needs to be replaced.

I’m not sure where to go from here. I don’t want to throw parts at it but I don’t want to get stranded somewhere either.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2024
  2. Aug 16, 2024 at 4:28 AM
    Dr_Al

Dr_Al New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    My '07 did the same thing several years ago. Was a couple hours away from home sitting in a store parking lot and it would just crank with out starting. I sat there for a few minutes trying to come up with a game plan. I flipped the key over and put it in and it started right up. It was like the computer didn't recognize the chip in the key. I bought a couple of blank keys and had the local hardware store cut them. They couldn't program the keys to the computer so I was able to try starting it and the truck did the exact same thing. It just cranks but will not fire. No lights flashed or alarms went off, it just cranked away. Not sure if you had the same problem but it's never happened to me since then.

Products Discussed in

To Top