1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DD exhaust w/LT headers w/sound clip pg 8 post 229

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Weagle, Jun 6, 2024.

1. Jun 6, 2024 at 10:17 AM
    Weagle

Weagle [OP] I survived my timing belt change

Member:
    Prattville, AL
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra SR5 DC 4.7 2WD LSD towing pkg
    Bilstein 5100's with 2883's - close to 2" Replacing the 2883's and going back to the bottom perch ASAP -mobile/apple play stereo with sub and backup cam -Power stop HD front calipers and rotors for towing -20" wheels with 32" tires (305/50's) Toyo AT 3's with no rubbing -Westin nerf bars -Detroit axle new (not rebuilt) steering rack with poly bushings, inner and outer TRE's -Suspension Maxx extended front sway bar links -Overland tuning - medium level -Power front leather seats and steering wheel from 06 Sequoia -fully de-chromed/blacked out trim -all light housings incl 3rd brake light and tag lights replaced with smoked lenses, LED where appropriate -mini projector headlights -fully rebuilt trans and new torque converter -new complete drive shaft with spicer u-joints and carrier bearing -all LED interior lights including backlighting -new lower window seals for all 4 doors -all new hardware and clips for tailgate Next: Dirty Deeds racing exhaust with LT headers, yellow box, 12 hole DD fuel injectors, redo or replace door panels
    Edit:

here's a quick sound clip of the exhaust fully installed on my '06 4.7 DC

DirtyDeeds full racing dual exhaust, 16" BAM mufflers and long tube headers

fully warmed up. Initially at idle, rev to 2000 RPM's, a couple to 4000 and then one more to 2000.

very tame at idle

https://youtube.com/shorts/NLg2tPO3t5o?si=o1q5y6nVcXiQvog6

Edit: after removing the driver's side exhaust manifold, I listed my key points in post #105

ORIG:

Anyone install these on their first GEN?

Mine should be arriving from DirtyDeeds next week And I just want to be sure I'm prepared

I knew about the need for longer O2 wiring but just learned that something has to be programmed out or it will start throwing up a check engine light. I just had the overland tuning, but that guy wasn't aware of anything like this

just looking for someone with experience that might could help

Last edited: Aug 15, 2024
  2. Jun 6, 2024 at 10:41 AM
    FrenchToasty

FrenchToasty The Desert rat, 6 lug enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Mo
    The SoAz….. big surprise
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC 4.88s Elocker and some other trippy stuff
    Bone stock
    Are you going to run cats?
    Either way you’ll probably throw a code but does your county require emissions testing? If not don’t worry about the code, it’s just saying catalytic efficiency below threshold

455h0le_dachshund and Weagle[OP] like this.
  3. Jun 6, 2024 at 10:43 AM
    Weagle

Member:
    Prattville, AL
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100's with 2883's - close to 2" Replacing the 2883's and going back to the bottom perch ASAP -mobile/apple play stereo with sub and backup cam -Power stop HD front calipers and rotors for towing -20" wheels with 32" tires (305/50's) Toyo AT 3's with no rubbing -Westin nerf bars -Detroit axle new (not rebuilt) steering rack with poly bushings, inner and outer TRE's -Suspension Maxx extended front sway bar links -Overland tuning - medium level -Power front leather seats and steering wheel from 06 Sequoia -fully de-chromed/blacked out trim -all light housings incl 3rd brake light and tag lights replaced with smoked lenses, LED where appropriate -mini projector headlights -fully rebuilt trans and new torque converter -new complete drive shaft with spicer u-joints and carrier bearing -all LED interior lights including backlighting -new lower window seals for all 4 doors -all new hardware and clips for tailgate Next: Dirty Deeds racing exhaust with LT headers, yellow box, 12 hole DD fuel injectors, redo or replace door panels
    yes, I will be running cats. He's going to modify them to make the two openings larger to accommodate larger pipes.

But I'm in the south east. No worries about emissions testing. I just don't want any performance issues or the check engine light to be on

And I won't ever be selling my truck so I'm not worried about that. I'm the original owner for 18 years.

455h0le_dachshund likes this.
  4. Jun 6, 2024 at 10:45 AM
    FrenchToasty

FrenchToasty The Desert rat, 6 lug enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Mo
    The SoAz….. big surprise
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC 4.88s Elocker and some other trippy stuff
    Bone stock
    You’ll be fine then. Just get some black tape to cover the check engine light on the dash

5. Jun 6, 2024 at 10:47 AM
    Weagle

Member:
    Prattville, AL
    Vehicle:
    I probably should've done that with my TPMS light.

But I do want my check engine light to work correctly, so I will see if there is a problem. At least I know I can get by for a while until I get it resolved if that is necessary

Last edited: Jun 6, 2024
    455h0le_dachshund likes this.
  6. Jun 7, 2024 at 11:06 PM
    455h0le_dachshund

455h0le_dachshund The older I get, I realize I'll never grow up.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dog
    TX...big surprise
    Vehicle:
    Dragstrip Rocketship
    You will likely need to change all four o2 sensors as well and your cats will have to modified by the exhaust shop to fit up to the headers. Assuming you have good cats and sensors, you should be good. My 06 is perfectly happy with cheap muffler shop cats and new Denso o2 sensors after long tubes. Before new o2 sensors I was getting a CEL for a few different codes. P0138 and P0158 I think.
    I didn't have to get a tune, but after about 1.5 years of having the long tubes, I chose to get tuned, and it really helped bring out all the extra power gains from the headers.

Edit: I just remembered the headers don't have the SAIS tubes on em, so you'll have to either get that bypassed with a Hewitt bypass or by tuning.
    I went with the Hewitt bypass so I could run the headers without the SAIS tubes and disable the SAIS.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2024
    Weagle[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  7. Jun 8, 2024 at 3:45 AM
    Weagle

Member:
    Prattville, AL
    Vehicle:
    Good information thank you. I thought I asked Keith about that bypass and he said no you'll just have to get it programmed out.

Sounds like I have two options then.

this is another area where I don't have experience so I'll have to read up on the SAIS tubes

i'm going to send my cats to Keith and he said he would turn them around in one day

edit: my first read on SAIS and bypassing left my head spinning. Probably more simple than what I'm reading into it. But I knew very little about it other than the pump came on briefly while engine was not warmed up fully.

Reading about the various bypass kit options just raised more questions. Keith made it sound so much more simple or else I just didn't know the questions to ask.

I just want a clean permanent solution where the check engine light will not be on due to the headers and I don't have to worry about limp mode. I thought he said the best option was to get that programmed out of the ECU and you didn't have to do the bypass kit, but if I'm reading all of that information right you still have to do more mods

Last edited: Jun 8, 2024
  8. Jun 8, 2024 at 4:49 AM
    455h0le_dachshund

Member:
    First Name:
    Dog
    TX...big surprise
    Vehicle:
    Dragstrip Rocketship
    Yeah using a timer to disable it is probably the best solution and as a bonus, you could get you truck returned for the headers at the same time and hopefully only pay for the tune.

9. Jun 8, 2024 at 4:54 AM
    Weagle

Member:
    Prattville, AL
    Vehicle:
    If the tuning is different from what I just had done and it is specific for the headers, then I won't consider that a waste at all

i'll contact the guy Keith recommended before I dive deep into the SAIS.

What year and model truck do you have? Is it as big of an improvement as he makes it sound? Better performance Or better mileage or both?

10. Jun 8, 2024 at 6:36 AM
    455h0le_dachshund

Member:
    First Name:
    Dog
    TX...big surprise
    Vehicle:
    Dragstrip Rocketship
    06 4x4 access cab v8

11. Jun 8, 2024 at 7:04 AM
    whodatschrome

whodatschrome New Member

Member:
    North of North Plains, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra 4wd AC, 2004 Tundra AC 2wd to 4wd conversion no ABS
    lots of dents
    I think one of the main things to prep for would be to start spraying down all the exhaust fasteners with your favorite penetrating oil. I'd probably give each and every fastener a blast of lube every day for the next week.

455h0le_dachshund and Weagle[OP] like this.
  12. Jun 8, 2024 at 8:41 AM
    Weagle

Member:
    Prattville, AL
    Vehicle:
    I started when I was doing the steering rack, but it was hard to see some of them. But one time I won't get it

whodatschrome[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Jun 8, 2024 at 3:59 PM
    Chrisfrom1986

Chrisfrom1986 New Member

Member:
    Central CA
    Vehicle:
    06 AC SR5
    You forgot to answer the other questions, the important ones lol.

FrenchToasty likes this.
  14. Jun 8, 2024 at 4:53 PM
    Riverdale21

Riverdale21 Speed seeker

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    OTP ATL
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Tundra TRD Off Road
    Dirt Deeds injectors, Addco rear sway, AEM dry flow air filter, last ever set of Stan's Try-Y headers, Borla full custom exhaust, front level, wheel spacers, and lots of electronics.
    Remove your engine mounts and brackets to make install easier.

Either get an engine support bar that braces fender to fender or support your engine from below with a jack. I used an upside down rubber wheel chock on a jack to hold the engine. Took one mount off at a time depending on which side I was working on.

Don't know what DD provides for gaskets and hardware but I would recommend an MLS gakset and OEM studs.

15. Jun 8, 2024 at 5:12 PM
    455h0le_dachshund

Member:
    First Name:
    Dog
    TX...big surprise
    Vehicle:
    Dragstrip Rocketship
    Hard to answer those because I have 295/75r16 tires and full armor, so my rig is heavy. Plus I got the headers and Dirty Deeds race exhaust installed at the same time as 4.56 gears and an elocker.

But it's definitely faster haha and louder.

Weagle[OP] likes this.
  16. Jun 8, 2024 at 8:40 PM
    Weagle

Member:
    Prattville, AL
    Vehicle:
    Which muffler did you go with?

17. Jun 8, 2024 at 9:01 PM
    455h0le_dachshund

Member:
    First Name:
    Dog
    TX...big surprise
    Vehicle:
    Dragstrip Rocketship
    Dual 16" BAMufflers from Dirty Deeds with dual hemholtz resonators. I got the entire exhaust from him and the headers too. It's his equal length x pipe dual race exhaust.
    He's got mufflers ranging from 8", 12", 16", and 20"

18. Jun 8, 2024 at 9:05 PM
    Weagle

Member:
    Prattville, AL
    Vehicle:
    I got the same setup including the 16s. I'm worried that's gonna be too loud.

19. Jun 8, 2024 at 9:31 PM
    455h0le_dachshund

Member:
    First Name:
    Dog
    TX...big surprise
    Vehicle:
    Dragstrip Rocketship
    At first I was regretting not going with the 20" mufflers.
    It took a couple months for mine to fully break-in. (I drove about two tanks per month) At first it was too loud and raspy and had some drone around 3k-4k rpm. But once it broke-in, it mellowed out some and I fell in love with it and it sounds even better now with the VF Tune.

20. Jun 8, 2024 at 9:55 PM
    Weagle

Member:
    Prattville, AL
    Vehicle:
    I told him it was a daily driver and I wanted deep throaty but subtle and not to annoy my neighbors. Sounds like I should've gone with the 20 inch.

21. Jun 8, 2024 at 9:56 PM
    455h0le_dachshund

Member:
    First Name:
    Dog
    TX...big surprise
    Vehicle:
    Dragstrip Rocketship
    That's basically what I told em. Just give the 16's a chance. You won't love em at first, but eventually I bet you will. And if not, then swap em. Did you get the resonators?

22. Jun 8, 2024 at 10:12 PM
    Weagle

Member:
    Prattville, AL
    Vehicle:
    yes, I did. I believe we have the exact same set up. Did you get your converters inlets and outlets expanded? I already paid for that as well.

He told me this was the closest to a 10 inch for the second GEN.

23. Jun 8, 2024 at 10:22 PM
    455h0le_dachshund

Member:
    First Name:
    Dog
    TX...big surprise
    Vehicle:
    Dragstrip Rocketship
    I had my local muffler shop install the headers and exhaust and bought new cats from there as well. So they did whatever was needed to fit the cats

24. Jun 9, 2024 at 5:34 AM
    Weagle

Member:
    Prattville, AL
    Vehicle:
    I'm still debating on installing the headers myself due to the cost. But the muffler shop did give me a good price, they just did a truck similar to mine, and I would have to buy equipment to be able to lift the motor after you disconnect it from the motor mounts

25. Jun 9, 2024 at 5:35 AM
    Riverdale21

Riverdale21 Speed seeker

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    OTP ATL
    Vehicle:
    Dirt Deeds injectors, Addco rear sway, AEM dry flow air filter, last ever set of Stan's Try-Y headers, Borla full custom exhaust, front level, wheel spacers, and lots of electronics.
    Forgot to address your original post. Based on DD power claims you may see about 20HP off these mods, around 30-40 if you include a tune from Quantum Auto or Yota Werks.

Keith with DD has posted dyno numbers before on non-VVTI engines and you can find them here: https://www.tundras.com/threads/1st...rs-interest-thread.116547/page-4#post-3391283

A set of headers on these engines makes the largest change in N/A power out of any mod you can do. Exhaust changes make little difference on the 2UZFE. The factory exhaust flows rather well.

You will be very happy with the power of headers. It gets addictive.

26. Jun 9, 2024 at 5:36 AM
    Riverdale21

Riverdale21 Speed seeker

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    OTP ATL
    Vehicle:
    You can get an engine support brace from Hobo Freight. Amazon has a similar item for the same price.

27. Jun 9, 2024 at 5:37 AM
    Weagle

Member:
    Prattville, AL
    Vehicle:
    i'm assuming that tune from quantum auto or yota werks is similar to the Overland tuning?

I had that done a few weeks ago and love it, but he didn't do the change to keep the check engine light from coming on after the headers are installed so I've got to address that

28. Jun 9, 2024 at 5:41 AM
    Riverdale21

Riverdale21 Speed seeker

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    OTP ATL
    Vehicle:
    Not familiar with Overland. If they use a VF Tuner based tune it would be similar to Yota Werks.

29. Jun 9, 2024 at 5:45 AM
    Weagle

Member:
    Prattville, AL
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. That's sweet not near as bad as I thought.

my only reservation is that I swear it takes me two or three times as long as everyone else's experience. I just plod along slowly.

sounds like it - it programs the ECU. was supposed to help throttle/acceleration and shifting and that it did

30. Jun 9, 2024 at 5:51 AM
    455h0le_dachshund

Member:
    First Name:
    Dog
    TX...big surprise
    Vehicle:
    Dragstrip Rocketship
    Agreed. I love my headers. I also lucked out and bought a set of JBA LTs for both my 1GTs right before they all sold out and stopped making em. I got two sets in 2021 for the price of 1 set of the DD LTs today.

Weagle[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top