1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Engine Cranks won't start

Discussion in 'Other Toyota Vehicles' started by borla123, Jul 30, 2024.

1. Jul 30, 2024 at 8:11 AM
    borla123

borla123 [OP] The Pits

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    18 Tundra TRD OR - 4Runner Torsen Full Time 4wd
    Driver Grip Handle Borla Dual, Line X, ESP Underseat
    Need suggestions Electrical Issue Diagnosing before towing.
    Not my Tundra its the 2017 4Runner but it is electrical - I think.
    I am active on this forum not the 4Runner one, so thought I would try here first.

Scenario some history
    Arrived at cottage nothing abnormal, parked with vehicle pointing a little down and facing lake. Did not move for 3 days. On the 3rd day evening experienced monsoon like conditions with winds pointing to the front of the 4runner. Next morning tried to start it and received "High Transmission Fluid Temp" Message flashed in the center console. No engine crank at all. Tried again engine cranked - started rough – AC kicked in and engine died. Before it died I checked battery and it was showing 14 volts charging.I charged the battery up tried it again. All tries to start since, it cranks well but will not fire up.

I had company up who gave me a ride home. I had to leave it. Need to figure out if there is anything I can do before it gets towed to wherever I decide to take it. I will bring up my OBD2 reader and try that first. Local mechanic over phone said turn on block heater (help dry it out) – It doesn’t have one. This hot weather should help dry out things if related. Maybe not.

The dealer I trust said it could be a critter caused enough wire damage to make a connection weak. He said the fuel pumps hardly fail. The recalls on fuel pumps were for 2018-2019. Mine is a 2017. There are no fuel pump relays or fuses. Its a fuel pump computer module.

Suggestions appreciated on what I might be able to try when I get back up there. Its parked in the middle of a forest so do not want to really take things apart and have bolts drop on ground and get lost.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2024
  2. Aug 7, 2024 at 4:19 PM
    borla123

borla123 [OP] The Pits

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Aug 7 - As an update hopefully to help someone in future.
    Problem for now resolved.
    I made it back up after doing a lot of research and calls to various dealerships. They were not much help.
    This site was good that shows what fuses there are. For any vehicle.

https://fuse-box.info/toyota/toyota-4runner-n280-2010-2017-fuses

Brought my Tundra up which usually has all my tools in it.
    OBD2 reader gave me codes of P0351 - P0356 all ignition coils - Primary A and B.
    They couldn't all be bad so I thought electrical which makes sense due to the previous error message I received. There was crazy humidity with the event.
    So I took the test light and started going through all the fuses. A quick pass and they seemed all good. Started thinking of arranging for a tow as I did not want to work on it further in the forest.
    Then I had a good conversation with an independent mechanic (former Toyota tech) who said to take your time with the fuses and make sure you touch both sides.
    I did a repeat and in the last 10 fuses to go I hit an odd one for the Injectors. 10amp
    One side lit up only. Checked it and it was bad. Replaced it and the 4Runner started back up.
    The engine light then lit up with Trac off message. I used the scanner to clear this message.
    Fingers crossed. Hope this helps anyone reading.

aug 7 2024.jpg

3. Aug 21, 2024 at 9:43 AM
    borla123

borla123 [OP] The Pits

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    So as another update - hopefully last.
    I did research and the symptoms pointed to the moonroof drain. But when I pour water down from the moonroof tray, I see water exiting below.
    I removed the passenger side panel where you access the drain tube and this is what I found at the end of the drain tube.
    So it was still letting some water trickle through. The event we had caused it to back up, electronic components in that area like the ECM experienced dampness leading to the stall and no start and the blown fuse.
    If your vehicle is subject to outdoor conditions I highly recommended you check your drain.
    drain tube location and clog .jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top