1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hard camper Shell/Topper or Softopper?

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by Mulligan1305, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Jan 12, 2021 at 1:50 PM
    Mulligan1305

Mulligan1305 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tundra SR5 DC, 4WD
    So, what kind of bed cover/storage does everyone run and why?

I just got my 2011 DC SR5 4x4 before Thanksgiving for several planned uses, including as a DD (on weekends, I have a take-home work vehicle for now). Primarily, to use as a backpacking/camping/hunting/fishing rig and additionally, as a tow rig for a future camper. I like the idea of a hard shell for securing extra things when traveling with the family. However, I still use the truck bed for general hauling and moving furniture, grabbing plants and mulch, lumber for projects, etc. So it seems the easy-to-remove Softopper would be better for that purpose. However, when I travel with a camper (or without) I'd love to have covered cargo that can be secured. I really don't want both and as much as I think a Decked system would be convenient and secure, I don't want to lose that depth in my bed. Besides, I don't carry around so much equipment or truck stuff that I need a system that large. Whenever that scenario happens I'll just use the back seat for temporary storage and lock it if needed since it's not every day.

I plan on sleeping in the bed during some camping/hunting/fishing trips so I'd like some sort of cover and I like having the room to sit up and move around inside without banging my head (Decked issue). I like multi-task items so I hate having to buy a hard shell AND a soft shell if I can make one or the other work by itself as much of the time as possible.

After I bought the truck I priced an ARE shell, basic, with a headliner (free during promotional period) as the only option. My local dealer wanted just over $2600 for it. That AND I still get to remove/install it as I need the bed. Yaaay...

So with the hard shell, I see pro's as;
    1. adding a rack on top for canoes, kayaks, bikes, more crap (unlike a soft shell),
    2. having covered, lockable cargo space for full on family trips with luggage, fishing rods, long trips of any sort where I bring alot of stuff or passengers take up room inside (unlike a soft shell).

But with the soft shell...
    1. coverage of items in the bed for travel out of the weather (like a hard shell),
    2. sleeping inside while on trips to keep out of the weather (like a hard shell),
    3. removing the top for full use of the bed for tall/bulky items (like a hard shell but much easier)
    4. much less expensive (unlike a hard shell).

I read over this post by NoRcptn and I really like the setup he has but without the vertical space taken by the Decked system. I just don't want to have to keep up with and store both tops (or pay for both!).

https://www.tundras.com/threads/a-r-e-cx-hd-installed-and-silverwing-roof-top-tent.48493/

I really don't want to begin upgrading much without a plan for this because it will involve added weight, storage, etc. down the road and I hate having to pay even more to re-work or re-do things twice if I can help it. I'd like to hear from everyone else so maybe I can hear some things I haven't considered.

I'm just curious to hear your pros, cons and reasons for having whatever you run.

2. Jan 12, 2021 at 1:58 PM
    ezdog

ezdog New Member

Member:
    Gateway To The West
    Vehicle:
    2001 RCLB V8,4WD 2015 RCLB 5.7,4WD
    I think you laid out the sides of ot pretty well at least as you see them which is probably important for you.

Do you have a Garage where you can pull the truck in and just lift a hard top off and let it hang until needed again?
    That would seem an ideal solution to me.

Also I have had decent luck finding used tops for a few hundred bucks and I would sure look for one if I needed another,I am not eager to spend retail prices for the top if I dont have to.

I can not see myself ever getting or being happy with a soft top just not enough security for my stuff plain and simple.

AggiePhil and Mulligan1305[OP] like this.
  3. Jan 12, 2021 at 2:08 PM
    Mulligan1305

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tundra SR5 DC, 4WD
    ezdog, I do have a garage but the wife's car has claimed it along with everything else. I have a pully system that I used for my JKU hard top and now use it for large containers for Christmas things and cornhole boards. That may be an option but I'll have to move it over a little. I'm currently weathering in the area under my deck so that may be easier to use once I get things moved out and under there. I was always leery of it falling or pulling away. How heavy are these toppers? I could move the JKU hard top but it was just oversized.

4. Jan 12, 2021 at 2:20 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment I'll bet I get blamed for this.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    If I had a DC, I might have gone with a hard tri-fold tonneau cover.
    Pros: flexibility to open it up if hauling taller stuff while maintaining ability to close and lock bed.
    Cons: very difficult to get the same waterproof capacity as a canopy. Not as much secure space. I looked at a short box Tundra with a tonneau cover and figured all my wife's camping gear would never fit in there.

I went with a hard canopy as I figured I was unlikely to ever haul tall stuff and I wanted the space, security and water exclusion. Soft topper was never an option for me as we tent in bear country so need somewhere to keep food and cooking items.

5. Jan 12, 2021 at 3:39 PM
    Mulligan1305

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tundra SR5 DC, 4WD
    Excellent point! I'll be camping in bear country at times.

6. Jan 12, 2021 at 4:49 PM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr 934000 miles to go

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    6UR-FE
    RAS, 285/75 DTs, dual battery, SS3 Pro
    I’m not sure that keeping food in your truck is a good idea in bear country.

768044FE-EA9B-47F6-B077-5D63D2AE9F4B.jpg

Mulligan1305[OP] likes this.
  7. Jan 12, 2021 at 5:25 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Where would you keep it, smart guy?

AggiePhil and Mulligan1305[OP] like this.
  8. Jan 12, 2021 at 5:58 PM
    Terndrerrr

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    6UR-FE
    I usually hang it. My favorite solution: https://mountainlaureldesigns.com/product/pro-bear-bag-system/

975lb test line. Glides over limbs. Weighs almost nothing. Odor proof bag. In low bear-pressure areas, I’ll just put all my food in the odor proof bag on the ground out of sight 50-100yds from our tent.

I just wouldn’t want to take the chance that there’s the tiniest bit of odor of delicious food coming out of my odor proof bag for whatever reason when that bag is in my truck. Their sense of smell is something like 2000x as powerful as ours. Seen too many pics like the one above of cars absolutely destroyed because someone left a candy bar wrapper in their car.

I also have a Garcia bear canister.

9. Jan 12, 2021 at 6:28 PM
    mountainpete

mountainpete Explore more

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Crewmax TRD
    Function before sparkle.
    I think you got a smart answer @Cpl_Punishment

10. Jan 12, 2021 at 7:02 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    As far as I know, the national parks don't allow you to hang food in trees.

11. Jan 12, 2021 at 7:10 PM
    Terndrerrr

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    6UR-FE
    Really? In the US, we’re directed to hang our food or store in our own bear-rated container when no bear boxes are present at campsites.

12. Jan 12, 2021 at 7:11 PM
    mountainpete

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Crewmax TRD
    Function before sparkle.
  13. Jan 12, 2021 at 7:12 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    From the Parks Canada website:

Safely store bear attractants
    • Keep food, garbage, recyclables, pet food and BBQ’s in bear-proof storage or hard-sided vehicles.

14. Jan 12, 2021 at 7:13 PM
    mountainpete

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Crewmax TRD
    Function before sparkle.
    Mulligan1305[OP] and Terndrerrr like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top