1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How much does a timing belt stretch in its normal lifespan?

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Weagle, Jul 15, 2024.

1. Jul 15, 2024 at 1:33 PM
    Weagle

Weagle [OP] Where the hell did I put that socket?

Member:
    Prattville, AL
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra SR5 DC 4.7 2WD LSD towing pkg
    Bilstein 5100's with 2883's - close to 2" Replacing the 2883's and going back to the bottom perch ASAP -mobile/apple play stereo with sub and backup cam -Power stop HD front calipers and rotors for towing -20" wheels with 32" tires (305/50's) Toyo AT 3's with no rubbing -Westin nerf bars -Detroit axle new (not rebuilt) steering rack with poly bushings, inner and outer TRE's -Suspension Maxx extended front sway bar links -Overland tuning - medium level -Power front leather seats and steering wheel from 06 Sequoia -fully de-chromed/blacked out trim -all light housings incl 3rd brake light and tag lights replaced with smoked lenses, LED where appropriate -mini projector headlights -fully rebuilt trans and new torque converter -new complete drive shaft with spicer u-joints and carrier bearing -all LED interior lights including backlighting -new lower window seals for all 4 doors -all new hardware and clips for tailgate Next: Dirty Deeds racing exhaust with LT headers, yellow box, 12 hole DD fuel injectors, redo or replace door panels
    In the middle of a timing belt change. My old timing belt was in decent shape. It only had one rough spot on an edge that could've turned into a fray

When I held them up next to each other, I wish I would've done a better job but I could tell the old one was a bit stretched.

Then I had a bear of a time getting the new one on. And I had not put in the tensioner only the tensioner pulley per all instructions.

I guess the reason I ask is looking back that old was probably stretched more than I realized but at the same time, I'm also curious why I seemed to have more trouble getting the new one on than in all of the videos I watched.

I finally had to take the idler pulley off on the lower driver side Get the slack on that side and then put on the idler pulley back on.

If I tried to get the slack on the passenger side like they did in the videos, it would end up hopping a cog on the right side And I had no luck with putting a clamp on to hold it in place except for when I removed the idler pulley and used that method along with carefully rotating the crank and driver side cam to get the right amount of tension

This got me thinking, although the tensioner takes up slack with a stretched belt it has to throw the valve timing off because the tensioner is only on one side and that means the valves, at least on the driver side, have to be late opening and closing

2. Jul 15, 2024 at 3:26 PM
    FiatRunner

FiatRunner 2003 rich

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Chicago Suburbs
    Vehicle:
    2000 AC Limited TRD + 4WD + Thunder Gray
    See Refresh Thread
    One trick that I see a lot of people miss when doing a timing belt job is that instead of rotating the engine so that it’s at TDC, rotate the engine past TDC about 15° so that the cams line up with the “T” mark instead of the TDC mark. This puts the cams in a spot where they won’t move or shift.

Not sure if you used that method or not but I did and I found it super easy to get my belt on.

Weagle[OP] and ATBAV8 like this.
  3. Jul 15, 2024 at 3:37 PM
    FishNinja

FishNinja HIDE YOUR DAUGHTERS

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    TEXAN....big surprise
    Vehicle:
    06DC2wd
    In simpler terms. Put on "T" mark not thw "TDC dot" mark

my belt slipped on pretty easy. Just had to make sure the teeth were lined up and *pop* on she went.

Weagle[OP] likes this.
  4. Jul 15, 2024 at 5:05 PM
    Weagle

Weagle [OP] Where the hell did I put that socket?

Member:
    Prattville, AL
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra SR5 DC 4.7 2WD LSD towing pkg
    Bilstein 5100's with 2883's - close to 2" Replacing the 2883's and going back to the bottom perch ASAP -mobile/apple play stereo with sub and backup cam -Power stop HD front calipers and rotors for towing -20" wheels with 32" tires (305/50's) Toyo AT 3's with no rubbing -Westin nerf bars -Detroit axle new (not rebuilt) steering rack with poly bushings, inner and outer TRE's -Suspension Maxx extended front sway bar links -Overland tuning - medium level -Power front leather seats and steering wheel from 06 Sequoia -fully de-chromed/blacked out trim -all light housings incl 3rd brake light and tag lights replaced with smoked lenses, LED where appropriate -mini projector headlights -fully rebuilt trans and new torque converter -new complete drive shaft with spicer u-joints and carrier bearing -all LED interior lights including backlighting -new lower window seals for all 4 doors -all new hardware and clips for tailgate Next: Dirty Deeds racing exhaust with LT headers, yellow box, 12 hole DD fuel injectors, redo or replace door panels
    I saw that same tip and yes, I did. I ended up having to play with each one (each cam and the crankshaft) individually when I was getting my timing belt on. It would've never worked for me like I saw in the videos. It was just way too tight.

Using clamps to keep the timing belt from jumping cog on the camshaft pulleys and taking off the idler pulley

then it was a breeze

IMG_7411.jpg IMG_7410.jpg IMG_7409.jpg

i'm jealous. I had to battle mine, but once I saw that tip about taking off the idler pulley and using clamps so the timing belt would quit jumping cogs on the cam shafts it was easy as could be

Last edited: Jul 15, 2024

Products Discussed in

To Top