1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is the Load-leveling Rear Height Control Air Suspension worth it?

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by Onedsr, Jul 27, 2022.

1. Jul 27, 2022 at 3:39 PM
    Onedsr

Onedsr [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Diane
    Vehicle:
    2007 FJ
    Hello all, I will be towing a camping trailer. Can any one tell me what the toung weight limit is for the 2022 Tundra Limited 4x2 is and if the Load-leveling Rear Height Control Air Suspension is worth it? My current camper us only max weight of 5,600 and about 460 on the toung. I might get a larger camper at some point. I'm guessing no more that 7,500 for it. I have no idea what the toung might be though.

2. Jul 27, 2022 at 3:57 PM
    LukeS

LukeS New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Northeast PA
    Vehicle:
    Army Green Limited TRD OR
    I was considering the air suspension, but it was at the very bottom of my want/need list for the truck since there are plenty of aftermarket options to help with sag if it turns out to be an issue like the Firestone airbag kit, Timbren ses, etc. With how hard it is to find a truck with all the options you want and the color you want that might be something to consider

3. Jul 28, 2022 at 2:59 AM
    Onedsr

Onedsr [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Diane
    Vehicle:
    2007 FJ
    It is a feature that I was not really looking for but as you said waiting on the prefered packages and color makes one reconsider somethings. I would prefer the money spent on the spray in bed liner and ditch the running board. I do not have a lot of towing experience so I wanted to see if I was missing something about the leveling feature. An inch up doesn't seem like much.

4. Jul 31, 2022 at 1:32 PM
    Old Coyote

Old Coyote New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2022 SR5 4x4 DC, Silver w/many options
    Toyota Predator Steps, Truxedo Sentry CT Roll-ip Tonneau Cover, Custom side bed divider
    I tow a ±5,000 lb travel trailer (tongue wt ±650-700 lbs) with the Load-leveling Rear Height Control Air Suspension. The Air Suspension is VERY USEFUL it actually has a range of about 2.5-3 in (Low-Normal-High). It helps with hitching and unhitching your trailer because you can lower the truck rear and back under the tongue, then raise the truck again to take the load off your tongue jack. The BEST FEATURE is that it CONSTANTLY ADJUSTS the rear HEIGHT of your truck (as you drive or anytime) to KEEP THE TRUCK LEVEL, and accept the additional load of the trailer tongue to counteract the dreaded "Squat" of your truck rear end that happens to most trucks when you add a high hitch (tongue) load.

j-utah, ClaytonW and Yoda_Lance like this.
  5. Jul 31, 2022 at 7:59 PM
    xc_tc

xc_tc New Member

Member:
    If you want to tow more weight, get a weight distributing hitch instead. If you’re not towing, the air suspension rides like shit.

6. Jul 31, 2022 at 8:47 PM
    ToyoMon

ToyoMon New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 White Tundra SR5
    I can't speak on using it for towing yet, but I've found it very useful for loading/unloading the bed when it is lowered.

7. Aug 2, 2022 at 3:28 AM
    Onedsr

Onedsr [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Diane
    Vehicle:
    2007 FJ
    Thanks for the inputs!

8. Aug 2, 2022 at 5:14 AM
    rss29

rss29 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    22 WCP DC LTD
    It wasn't an option I probably would have ordered, but since you sort of have to take what you can get I ended up with it. I like it so far, though haven't towed yet. From the factory the front and rear were perfectly level, but to my eye that never looks right on a truck. I was able to dial in a but of rake in a couple of minutes by adjusting the locating links. I like to haul my bikes on a hitch rack and I'm hoping this helps level it out and eliminate some of the bouncing.

Some guys say the air suspension rides poorly, but it seems OK to me. Definitely rides better than the GMC it replaced, especially over uneven bumps in the pavement. I haven't really compared to the stock coils though, so perhaps those do ride much nicer.

Air bags, hoses, and a compressor did factor into my purchase of the extended warranty, however.

9. Aug 2, 2022 at 7:30 AM
    eddiefromcali

eddiefromcali New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Platinum
    100% Stock
    Have towed roughly 3,500 with another 500 in the bed and it didnt squat an inch. I drive around in "Comfort" setting and it rides nice and smooth with a 2/1 lift.

j-utah likes this.
  10. Aug 2, 2022 at 4:44 PM
    Onedsr

Onedsr [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Diane
    Vehicle:
    2007 FJ
    I will coming out of a 2007 FJ, so I imagine the ride will be an upgrade regardless Glad to know you weren't realy looking for it, but don't regret it either.

11. Aug 2, 2022 at 6:36 PM
    Yoda_Lance

Yoda_Lance New Member

Member:
    San Diego, Ca
    Vehicle:
    22 Platinum WCP Hybrid 4x4
    It’s worth it imo ! No squat rides super nice

12. Aug 2, 2022 at 7:54 PM
    Carolina Peej

Carolina Peej Hey can you hold the light for me real quick?

Member:
    North and South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2022 Midnight Black Metallic 4x4 Tundra Platinum 5.5 w/ load leveling + AVS, HUD, and Power Running Boards
    Yes, I agree whole heartedly. When I saw the specs I was disappointed that the bed only moved 0.9" or whatever was published... BUT, I have realized this is at the axle, on the air bag. The tailgate cantilevers quite a bit past the axle and the range of motion is much more than published.

It makes a very useful difference when loading / unloading the bed, towing a trailer, hauling a load in the bed, and maintaining a level ride with variable loads. I love the air ride feature, and highly recommend it.

Combined with the adaptive front suspension, and you have a very customizable ride. I often use "comfort" around the city, "Normal" on the highway, and "sport" in the mountain curves. Very noticeable difference in each of the settings and I would certainly choose this option again if I had to make the choice.

j-utah, shellshock, gnc1017 and 2 others like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top