1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Passenger Mirror PVM Camera panel flew off...

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by rizico, Mar 14, 2022.

1. Mar 14, 2022 at 5:47 AM
    rizico

rizico [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-Don
    Luling, Tx
    Vehicle:
    '22 Capstone 4x4
    I couldn't find the thread, but l swore I read of this happening to at least someone else. Just over 300 miles, and the part housing the camera on the underside of the passenger side mirror came off doing 75 on the interstate. I didn't know what it was at first, just a 'pop' then a few seconds later I guess the wind caught it right it starting beating the hell out of the truck.. When I finally came t a stop I was sick to my stomach because the marks it left under the mirror looked like gouges in the paint, luckily it's a soft platic part and they all wiped off with my finger... It's a clip style wire connector so it held on.

Took it to the dealer the next morning, they told me it requires the whole mirror be replaced, and they were back-ordered. They kept the mirror piece, in hindsight I would have kept the panel that came off and just told them it flew off... I bet that camera isn't cheap, coulda made an Ebay buck for my troubles. lol

cam1.jpg
    cam2.jpg

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    ryanwgregg and Booney like this.
  2. Feb 8, 2023 at 8:05 AM
    ChiefX

ChiefX New Member

Member:
    This happened to me just last week on my 2022 Platinum. Did warranty cover it? Seems like a manufacturer defect. Parts of the truck aren’t supposed to fly off on the freeway.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    ryanwgregg likes this.
  3. Feb 8, 2023 at 8:07 AM
    rizico

rizico [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-Don
    Luling, Tx
    Vehicle:
    '22 Capstone 4x4
    Sure did, they replace the entire mirror assembly, which leads me to believe something has been adjusted in design (I would hope). But yes, 100% covered under warranty.

ryanwgregg likes this.
  4. Feb 8, 2023 at 8:36 AM
    PBNB

PBNB TRD Crew

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2022 Limited Crewmax L
    MBM - TRD Offroad
    Are those 2 tabs, shown in the photo, broken? You think that another cover would be an easy fix, just move the camera over to it and snap it back on. Changing the entire mirror seems like something is being corrected that missed the QC process.

ryanwgregg likes this.
  5. Feb 8, 2023 at 8:41 AM
    rizico

rizico [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-Don
    Luling, Tx
    Vehicle:
    '22 Capstone 4x4
    Yes those tabs broke when it was slapping against the door before I realized what what going on. I agree that would have been a much less costly fix for them, but that's why I'm thinking there was possibly a slight modification to how it attaches which would require both the part, and the assembly it attaches to to have been changed, but that's just speculation on my part. I wasn't about to pop that new one off and investigate. It's too late now too because we traded her in December for a 23' Sequia. 1200 miles and the mirrors are still intact on it, so fingers crossed, lol. After the repair I did put another 11k miles on the tundra and it never came off.

Randy50 and ryanwgregg like this.
  6. Feb 11, 2023 at 5:36 PM
    brucebanner360

brucebanner360 New Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2022 Blueprint Tundra Limited TRD OR CM 6.5
    Just had this happen to me, it flew off driving in the freeway and dealer saying they won't cover it under warranty. Anyone else had this happen and have the dealer cover it? Any chance you could post what dealer?

7. Feb 27, 2023 at 12:30 PM
    lsb628

lsb628 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Limited CM
    Just happened to me also at about 75 on the highway. Thought it was ice as it snowed then temps dropped to near zero overnight. Didn't realize until pulling into the garage. Got out to wipe the cameras off and it was gone. Thinking of calling toyota customer service first. The dealer seems to respond better when they know toyota corporate is aware. Dealer once tried to tell me a repair wasn't covered. They didn't know toyota customer service told me it was. Any thoughts about calling customer service first? This obviously isn't user error. Pieces are not supposed to fly off at 75! Lol!

8. Feb 27, 2023 at 2:30 PM
    j.b.

j.b. New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Vehicle:
    2022 Platinum MGM
    Happened to me at the car wash. The blower at the end knocked it out, and it was flapping against the side of the truck. It didn't completely disconnect, fortunately. Nothing appeared to be broken. I clicked it back into place and it has been holding since, though I'm sure it'll fly off again.

9. May 1, 2023 at 12:52 PM
    Ralph91

Ralph91 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rafael
    Vehicle:
    2022 Brown Tundra Limited
    Same thing happened to my 2022 Tundra Limited. While driving on the freeway going about 80-85mph the passenger side mirror camera flow off and now Toyota doesn’t want to fix the problem and want me to come out of pocket to fix it what horrible service.

IMG_2370.jpg

10. May 1, 2023 at 1:06 PM
    G3ardnut

G3ardnut Brushed Chrome is COOL

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2023 Limited TRD Offroad Crewmax Celestial Silver Metallic
    That's completely unacceptable and unsafe for factory installed parts to be falling off the vehicle at highway speeds. I have not received my new Tundra yet but I am going armed with a list of issues just like this when the time comes and tell them upfront if any of this $hit happens to my truck I will on them like you can't imagine. If I were you, keep persisting or if you can go to another dealership to see if they can help you.

Last edited: May 1, 2023
  11. May 1, 2023 at 1:29 PM
    lsb628

lsb628 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Limited CM
    Do not pay!! Toyota will pay for it. They could "good will" the fix even. Toyota gives the dealer a budget for "good will" fixes. That mirror assembly is something like 1650 bucks! I'm guessing your dealer said NO, not Toyota Customer Service. I'd make some noise. Parts falling off the truck is unacceptable. My dealer didn't question it but I did hear the service advisor and the technician talking about "putting it through" in a different way. Sounded like this particular tech was able to get warranty work covered another way. Like it was because it was a completely new truck and that Toyota was looking at these parts failures to review and fix the issues quickly. Something about an updated part number also. The tech replaced the whole mirror not just the camera. FYI this was my passenger side. The drivers side was replaced due to a grinding noise when folding. Good luck!

Jim2023 and Ralph91 like this.
  12. May 1, 2023 at 1:35 PM
    eddiefromcali

eddiefromcali New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Platinum
    100% Stock

Go to a different dealer. This is a well documented issue...seems to only/mostly affect the passenger side

Ralph91[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. May 2, 2023 at 3:52 PM
    Tidechaser

Tidechaser New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    GLOUCESTER Va & Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra TRD Off Road (Lunar)
    My passenger side camera fell off last fall driving from Wisconsin to Virginia. 21.5 hours straight (not recommended)

My dealer replaced the whole mirror with no issues.

Hella Krusty and G3ardnut like this.
  14. May 2, 2023 at 7:48 PM
    Ralph91

Ralph91 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rafael
    Vehicle:
    2022 Brown Tundra Limited
    Just got great news after countless employees that I had to speak with at my Toyota dealership, they are now willing to fix my problem. Only thing I’m getting out of this is to be persistent.

SC4333 and G3ardnut like this.
  15. May 2, 2023 at 7:56 PM
    G3ardnut

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    Sometimes it pays to be a pain in the a$$ but it shouldn't have to come to that with the dealership you just spent 10's of thousands of dollars with.

Randy50 likes this.
  16. Jun 22, 2023 at 10:04 AM
    Randy50

Randy50 New Member

Member:
    Same exact thing happened to me at 8k miles. GREEN TOYOTA of Springfield, IL is worthless or racist and its the only TOYOTA in my city.

I had to buy an after market battery at just 809 miles. My bed cover flew off and almost killed people on a busy freeway.

At this point I am done with Toyota. Gonna pay for my own repair of this defective part and then sell this plastic mess.

I have a 2022 Lunar Rock (color) 8,500 miles, Cremax, 6.5 ft bed, dark gray leather. Let me know if anyone wants to buy this. This is my first and last Toyota.

17. Jun 22, 2023 at 11:35 AM
    ScottW714

ScottW714 New Member

Member:
    100% what they said.
    Call Toyota's 800 number. I called about not having the 2nd FOB and asked them what happens if I lose it, they told me they would courtesy the cost, or something similar.

18. Jan 12, 2024 at 11:36 AM
    Oscar Escamilla

Oscar Escamilla New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Oscar
    Vehicle:
    2022 Toyota Tundra Platinum
    2022 Toyota Tundra Platinum January 10, 2024 I was driving at 90 miles per hour and the passenger mirror camera flew off on the road.
    I took it to the dealer and they told me that they are going to do investigations because it is very rare for the camera to fly away when it is connected to a safety clip.
    I have to wait for Toyota to cover me with the warranty since it is a repair of almost $2000.

20240110_141329.jpg

19. Jan 12, 2024 at 11:45 AM
    G3ardnut

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    Not sure what "very rare" means but it's clear you are not the only victim.

20. Jan 12, 2024 at 11:48 AM
    PBNB

PBNB TRD Crew

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2022 Limited Crewmax L
    MBM - TRD Offroad
    Well that stinks...

I glued mine on with black caulking. I went around the perimeter to close the gap accept for a low spot to let any water out.

21. Jan 12, 2024 at 11:49 AM
    99ways2die

99ways2die New Member

Member:
    What "safety clip"?
    I've taken mine off a few times and as far as I recall there is none; it's just pressed in and help by the tabs on the piece that you lost.
    While somewhat easy to take off, mine have not flew off......................yet!

22. Jan 17, 2024 at 3:20 PM
    PNWTRD23

PNWTRD23 New Member

Member:
    Adding my name to the growing list of people this has happened to :(. Lost my right side mirror camera at about 70 on the freeway yesterday. I am looking for the replacement camera part, does anyone know if the replacement camera (86466-0C050) part comes with the trim piece cover that it mounts into? I would try to make a warranty claim but I had the dealer swap out my tow mirrors with regular ones that were supplied by me so I am guessing it will be tough case to make.

23. Feb 9, 2024 at 3:23 PM
    jeffRibeiro

jeffRibeiro New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Toyota Tundra Limited TRD
    Hi
    Just happened with my 2022 Tundra Limited TRD. I realized when I saw a black mark on the screen and the passenger side mirror camera was not there. I went to the dealer and they said it’s never happened before and he make an estimate about over $ 2k . I don’t want to pay it. I’ll make some noise.

Oscar Escamilla likes this.
  24. Feb 9, 2024 at 3:30 PM
    G3ardnut

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    It's never happened to you before either. Doesn't mean it's not a defect.

25. Feb 9, 2024 at 3:41 PM
    Oscar Escamilla

Member:
    First Name:
    Oscar
    Vehicle:
    Hello everyone, finally after the help of my Toyota Salesperson, they replaced the mirror and the camera and did it under warranty so they are responsible for what happened

G3ardnut likes this.
  26. Feb 9, 2024 at 6:41 PM
    PBNB

PBNB TRD Crew

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2022 Limited Crewmax L
    MBM - TRD Offroad
    @Eurodriver is experiencing the plastic parts not staying together. I am sure if he had mirror cameras, they would have already flown off.

I anyone is worried about them coming off, run a bead of black caulking around the seam. Leave a small section free of caulking at the lowest point to allow any water to get out.

Dealers won’t want to give anyone a warranty camera and fix up the paint on the door. Best to contact the Toyota corporate and get them to work it out.

27. Mar 7, 2024 at 11:58 AM
    Jigsurupatel

Jigsurupatel New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jignesh
    Vehicle:
    Tunda2022 Limited
    Just joined this group to report same issue with my Tundra 2022 Limited. When you are the single user of your truck, how would we notice something is loose. It just flew off and I didn’t notice till after one week. I am being told that extended warranty will not cover by my dealer. I mentioned them that there is a big thread of blog about this issue. They have called Toyota. Let’s see what they come up with.

Toyota claims denied this. Any phone number to call to help me is highly appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2024
  28. Mar 7, 2024 at 12:05 PM
    Oscar Escamilla

Member:
    First Name:
    Oscar
    Vehicle:
    They will take care of you they replace de mirror and camera @ no charges

29. Apr 11, 2024 at 9:34 AM
    mcoulter57

mcoulter57 New Member

Member:
    This has happened to me twice now. Once at about 500 miles and now at 55,000 miles. They warrantee the first mirror, but now I want to charge me $2000 for a new mirror. Same story as everyone else passenger side on the highway about 75 mph windy day. Has nobody found an aftermarket replacement piece yet?

30. Apr 20, 2024 at 4:23 PM
    Screwy Louie

Screwy Louie New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra limited double cab with TRD pkg white
    Even though mine is off the 36k warranty, toyota agreed to replace my mirror on "good faith" I just have to pay a $100 deductible, even my dealer admitted this is an issue, they've had to replace a few, I also believe having a good relationship with your dealer helps.

Products Discussed in

To Top