1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stereo producing zero sound troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Puffy444, Jul 22, 2024.

1. Jul 22, 2024 at 5:32 PM
    Puffy444

Puffy444 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Anyone have issues where their stereo produces no sound but everything is seemingly working correctly?

2020 Tundra TRD PRO

So for over a year the issue started. Maybe around %50 of the time I get zero sound even though the time is ticking away on a Bluetooth streamed track. I have the same issue with the radio, etc. If I restart the engine I would most likely have the problem stop.

Things I tried with no change;

-I’ve tried not plugging in my phone till after the truck and more importantly the stereo gets started up.
    - Hard reboot (hold the power button down till the stereo restarts)
    -clean the trucks battery terminals (this seemed to fix the problem the first time I did it but slowly came back. Now cleaning them does nothing.) could I need a new battery? It did seem to die on me quickly recently while listening to music with the engine off.

2. Jul 22, 2024 at 5:46 PM
    _none_

_none_ Poser

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 DC SR5 4x4
    is the sound normal when not trying to play music through your phone?

Might be your phone...

3. Jul 22, 2024 at 6:10 PM
    Puffy444

Puffy444 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for your reply. There’s no sound anywhere, AM, FM, Bluetooth and hard line. I have switched out my phone within this time and bought a new cord. Nothing helps. It has been a while since I cleaned the not so messy battery terminals.

4. Jul 23, 2024 at 12:20 PM
    Snert

Snert New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5
    If the radio is on and showing a track playing, we can assume it's getting sufficient power. I will say though, I recently replaced my 2021 battery and when it was dying all sorts of wonky electrical stuff was happening. If you have a multimeter you can test your battery on start up, or go to an auto parts store and they'll test it's capacity for free. If the radio is on and playing but no sound, we can also assume that your fuses etc. are good. Have you ever pulled the radio and inspected the connections on back? Also, have you inspected the connections at the amp under your passenger seat? It could be something like a loose harness, but if that were the case the audio would probably cut in and out. The TRD Pro's come with the JBL system correct? If you have the JBL system I believe everything is powered via the amplifier, whereas in the non JBL system the head unit powers the center and dash corner speakers, and the doors are run off of the amplifier. In either case, it could also be a fusing, ground, or power issue with the amp, but with non JBL you would theoretically still get sound from the center and dash corners. With JBL, if there's an issue with the fuse, power, or grounding to it, it might kick into safety mode or not power on, hence the total loss of sound. I'd start by having your battery tested if you suspect if might be on the fritz, and while you're at it it wouldn't hurt to visually inspect connections at your amp since it is easy to access.

5. Jul 30, 2024 at 4:12 PM
    Swimbait

Swimbait New Member

Member:
    Sounds similar to what happened in my '21. Does the volume bar still show numbers when you twist the knob? Is the fader/balance "greyed" out? Mine looked normal, (track timing ticked along like it was playing, it would switch sources just fine, but no sound) but when you turned the volume knob, there was nothing showing on the screen, and the fade/balance in the audio settings went dark. Resetting it fixed it for a while, and then... The head unit officially died.

Products Discussed in

To Top