1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Threads in bolt hole for timing belt tensioner pulley stripped

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Weagle, Jul 14, 2024.

1. Jul 14, 2024 at 7:39 AM
    Weagle

Weagle [OP] I survived my timing belt change

Member:
    Prattville, AL
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra SR5 DC 4.7 2WD LSD towing pkg
    Bilstein 5100's with 2883's - close to 2" Replacing the 2883's and going back to the bottom perch ASAP -mobile/apple play stereo with sub and backup cam -Power stop HD front calipers and rotors for towing -20" wheels with 32" tires (305/50's) Toyo AT 3's with no rubbing -Westin nerf bars -Detroit axle new (not rebuilt) steering rack with poly bushings, inner and outer TRE's -Suspension Maxx extended front sway bar links -Overland tuning - medium level -Power front leather seats and steering wheel from 06 Sequoia -fully de-chromed/blacked out trim -all light housings incl 3rd brake light and tag lights replaced with smoked lenses, LED where appropriate -mini projector headlights -fully rebuilt trans and new torque converter -new complete drive shaft with spicer u-joints and carrier bearing -all LED interior lights including backlighting -new lower window seals for all 4 doors -all new hardware and clips for tailgate Next: Dirty Deeds racing exhaust with LT headers, yellow box, 12 hole DD fuel injectors, redo or replace door panels
    I was putting on my new timing belt tensioner pulley and as I was getting it snugged down suddenly it loosened up and appeared to be stripped. When I pulled it out, there was something gray in between 10 threads near the tip.

if I just screw in the part with the Allen head & no washer/spacer and no pulley it tightens up fine.

A little confusing, but I guess it makes it past the threads that are stripped

At first I thought it was possibly anti-seize on the threads. Now I'm thinking it was either the actual threads or possibly a heli-coil?

it's obvious one of the techs that did my first 2 timing belts made a mess of several nuts and bolts, possibly more

Would you trust a heli-coil on something so critical or am I royally screwed?

2. Jul 14, 2024 at 7:42 AM
    chunk

chunk New Member

Member:
    110 miles north of Los Angeles, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    SR5 2001 Tundra, original owner
    Bone stock
    I think a properly installed time-sert would be a good and permanent fix. Better than a heli-coil for repairing a hole with damaged threads.
    https://www.timesert.com/

3. Jul 14, 2024 at 7:46 AM
    bfunke

bfunke Tundra Curmudgeon

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR-5 CM 5.7, 2000 SR-5 AC 4.7L
    Timesert better than Helo oil for this.

shifty` and Weagle[OP] like this.
  4. Jul 14, 2024 at 7:48 AM
    shifty`

shifty` Yes, this is the third room

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    (see signature for truck info)
    This.

But either way, seriously, this is one of those “only time will tell” things. Timesert is probably the only “permanent” solution. If it’ll work to hold the Ferd engines together … and you want confidence … that’s the way to go.

That said, Helicoil will probably hold just fine.

Weagle[OP] likes this.
  5. Jul 14, 2024 at 7:53 AM
    Weagle

Member:
    Prattville, AL
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100's with 2883's - close to 2" Replacing the 2883's and going back to the bottom perch ASAP -mobile/apple play stereo with sub and backup cam -Power stop HD front calipers and rotors for towing -20" wheels with 32" tires (305/50's) Toyo AT 3's with no rubbing -Westin nerf bars -Detroit axle new (not rebuilt) steering rack with poly bushings, inner and outer TRE's -Suspension Maxx extended front sway bar links -Overland tuning - medium level -Power front leather seats and steering wheel from 06 Sequoia -fully de-chromed/blacked out trim -all light housings incl 3rd brake light and tag lights replaced with smoked lenses, LED where appropriate -mini projector headlights -fully rebuilt trans and new torque converter -new complete drive shaft with spicer u-joints and carrier bearing -all LED interior lights including backlighting -new lower window seals for all 4 doors -all new hardware and clips for tailgate Next: Dirty Deeds racing exhaust with LT headers, yellow box, 12 hole DD fuel injectors, redo or replace door panels
    Thanks guys.

It looks like they Not available locally? Bit surprised about that

6. Jul 14, 2024 at 7:55 AM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    Some specialty tools are required, IIRC there’s a kit you can buy, it is spendy. Someone posted a good video showing install on a Ferd on here recently, but I don’t recall where. I think it was @KNABORES who posted but my memory is shit on off-topic stuff.

I’d actually try to locate a shop that is educated in how to install correctly, it may be more cost effective, unless you want to start installing them yourself at a fee.

Weagle[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  7. Jul 14, 2024 at 8:08 AM
    Weagle

Member:
    Prattville, AL
    Vehicle:
    The treads appear to be the same as other 14mm bolt heads. Not extremely knowledgeable in that area about what size that equates to

there are some other kits that are possibly available. Not the timesert brand, but appear to be the same.

not sure I could find a skilled time sert mechanic that does house calls. I guess the alternative is to have it towed just for this

8. Jul 14, 2024 at 8:16 AM
    chunk

chunk New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Bone stock
    I would think that almost any auto repair shop use, and could install for you if you can get the truck to the shop. The hard part.

Weagle[OP] likes this.
  9. Jul 14, 2024 at 8:18 AM
    KNABORES

KNABORES Sarcasm incoming

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited TRD AC 4X4 Thunder Grey 272k miles. 2019 Limited TRD CM 4x4 - SOLD
    Bilstein 5100's 16x8 589's with 265/75/16 and 1.25" spacers Flowmaster 50 series over the axle dump Pioneer touchscreen with backup camera Full interior and dash LED conversion Trailer brake controller with 7 pin Bedliner coat bumpers & trim ARE topper - Rhino Vortex rack
    No experience with the timeserts, appear to be like a nutsert but also appears you have to drill and tap / chase new threads for the timesert to be installed. I typically use a tap and die kit to repair bad threads when needed. Then upsize the bolt if possible. Many threads can be repaired in non-HD applications. Things that simply need to seat but carry low load. Like valve covers for instance. Something like spark plugs have to remain the same thread size and pitch, so not a great candidate for upsizing. Not a huge fan of heli-coil as the fix for things, but glad they exist when other options won’t do. I would be adding some thread lock to any of these repairs as insurance.

shifty`[QUOTED] and Weagle[OP] like this.
  10. Jul 14, 2024 at 8:24 AM
    Weagle

Member:
    Prattville, AL
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, the problem is this is similar to a spark plug in that it has to remain the same size. It's not just a nut.

IMG_7384.jpg IMG_7385.jpg

many of the spark plug repair kits appear to work like a timesert. It appears you install a full thread insert sleeve.

11. Jul 14, 2024 at 8:30 AM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    Weagle[OP] and KNABORES[QUOTED] like this.
  12. Jul 14, 2024 at 8:32 AM
    KNABORES

KNABORES Sarcasm incoming

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited TRD AC 4X4 Thunder Grey 272k miles. 2019 Limited TRD CM 4x4 - SOLD
    Bilstein 5100's 16x8 589's with 265/75/16 and 1.25" spacers Flowmaster 50 series over the axle dump Pioneer touchscreen with backup camera Full interior and dash LED conversion Trailer brake controller with 7 pin Bedliner coat bumpers & trim ARE topper - Rhino Vortex rack
    That bolt is difficult to replicate in another size, so repair to existing size and pitch is the way. Heli-coil can be done at home by the average mechanic. I would likely go that route myself unless comfortable with the timesert repair. It’s not incredibly difficult as this video shows. He’s obviously got the part being repaired on a bench with a drill press. But could be performed in place on the motor with some patience. Looks like a quality repair.

https://youtu.be/aG_To8Ns8V4?si=cGBoiWMw5giqAy5H

13. Jul 14, 2024 at 8:37 AM
    chunk

chunk New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Bone stock
    Just like any thread repair insert, the key to success is the proper kit tools, and keeping the drill, tap, etc square to the work. If there is adequate space it's not too difficult.

Weagle[OP] likes this.
  14. Jul 14, 2024 at 8:47 AM
    Weagle

Member:
    Prattville, AL
    Vehicle:
    yes, I like that.

However, getting that hole perfectly aligned and perpendicular to the surface is critical in this case to ensure there is the same force for the width of the timing belt

15. Jul 14, 2024 at 7:08 PM
    Weagle

Member:
    Prattville, AL
    Vehicle:
    A mechanic friend has a drill guide and everything needed if he gets back in town in time.

Otherwise I'll have it towed to the shop tomorrow unless they will make a house call

dbittle and KNABORES like this.
  16. Jul 15, 2024 at 7:05 AM
    Weagle

Member:
    Prattville, AL
    Vehicle:
    Running out of options. I guess I'll just have to wait on my friend. He is good with years of experience on the job with heavy mechanical equipment in an industrial environment and very particular.

I even tried the mobile big rig services. Their comment was oh yeah, we do that all the time. But we only do it on big rigs. Seriously? What's the difference?

17. Jul 15, 2024 at 7:13 AM
    kentuckyMarksman

kentuckyMarksman New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra SR5 Double Cab - 4.7L V8 4x4
    I'd honestly Heli-Coil it. TimeSert would be better, but Heli-Coil is easy to get and use. I had to use Heli-Coil a torque converter once, and also on a transmission pan over the years. Worked perfectly fine in both those applications.

Weagle[OP] and KNABORES like this.
  18. Jul 15, 2024 at 7:25 AM
    Weagle

Member:
    Prattville, AL
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I'm satisfied with that option. And one of the mechanics talked to me about it and says it ought to be pretty easy. It shows you the drill bit size and that shouldn't be a problem because the hole is already there. What scares me is the tap.

Like he said - you only get one chance.

19. Jul 15, 2024 at 7:34 AM
    kentuckyMarksman

kentuckyMarksman New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra SR5 Double Cab - 4.7L V8 4x4
    Tapping a hole is easy. Use cutting fluid on the tap (I've also used motor oil when I couldn't find the actual fluid), apply even pressure as you turn the tap, do your best to keep the tap straight, periodically spin the tap out and clean the cut metal off of it, and if you feel any hard resistance, back the tap out and see what's going on. You do not want to break a tap in a hole.

KNABORES likes this.
  20. Jul 15, 2024 at 8:49 AM
    chunk

chunk New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Bone stock
    No matter what kind of insert you use, just keep the drill and tap square, and as mentioned above don't force the tap, and after 1 or 2 revolutions back the tap out a couple of turns to clear the swarf out of the hole. It's not as bad as you may think, the drill will want to follow the existing hole and it's only cutting a small bit, just removing the original threads. The biggest problem is usually adequate space to work and being able to see the area to ensure the work stays square. If your friend has more experience, it's worth waiting for his assistance. Good luck, we're rooting for your success.

21. Jul 15, 2024 at 10:09 AM
    Weagle

Member:
    Prattville, AL
    Vehicle:
    My friend got me straightened out. It's a good thing because I exhausted all other options other than having to have it towed. Which would've meant a return tow back home after they were done Not to mention waiting days because everybody is shorthanded on mechanics and backed up

I would've been fine to do it I'm sure. But I would much rather someone like him with years of experience that has done this on heavy machinery before where it has to be exactly right

Last edited: Jul 15, 2024
  22. Jul 15, 2024 at 10:24 AM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    What'd you guys end up going with? I remember you saying he had a drill guide. You drill it and re-tap to a larger size?

23. Jul 15, 2024 at 10:46 AM
    Weagle

Member:
    Prattville, AL
    Vehicle:
    Went with a heli-coil. When I do the next one, I'll be prepared and get a timesert.

So yeah, we tapped it but for the heli-coil.

With it be a specialty bolt I'm not sure if Toyota made one oversized
    IMG_7384.jpg

shifty`[QUOTED] likes this.
  24. Jul 15, 2024 at 4:38 PM
    Weagle

Member:
    Prattville, AL
    Vehicle:
    Looks like I made it past the critical steps. Ready to put it back together.

IMG_7411.jpg
    IMG_7410.jpg
    IMG_7409.jpg

kentuckyMarksman and shifty` like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top