1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tundra 2.0 vs 2.5

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by fyrhawker, Jul 19, 2024.

1. Jul 19, 2024 at 9:22 PM
    fyrhawker

fyrhawker [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra limited
    So I traded my 2008 Tundra limited in at 350k miles for a 2019 Limited, TRD off road. Ive noticed a few differences between the two that I didn't expect.
    1. The seat is so much more uncomfortable in the 2019 than the 08, and that's with 350K mile on it.
    2. The engine seem noticeably sluggish and less responsive compared to the 08.
    3. The noise level in the cab from the engine/exhaust is a bit louder.
    Do the TRD's com with a loader exhaust or just the TRD Pros?
    Any body have some things to add?

2. Jul 20, 2024 at 6:13 AM
    WFD473

WFD473 Long Live The V8

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northeast Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM SR5 CM 4x4
    Also notice the lack of driver's side grab handle:mad:

All your observations are very common with folks that have "upgraded" to the newer 2.5's. My guess is all these changes were made to keep costs down and profits up.

I can't really help with #1 but can only say that I know limiteds have stiffer leather than say, a platinum, so maybe look into seat covers or maybe swap in a set of platinum seats.

As far as #2, I know they tuned the engine differently from 2014 on. Probably to satisfy EPA standards or something like that. I had mine OTT tuned and it's much more snappy and more enjoyable to drive now. Highly recommended.

#3 It's possible you have the TRD exhaust that was put on after purchase and it is definitely louder. Are there dual pipes or single?

3. Jul 20, 2024 at 6:28 AM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr 934000 miles to go

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    6UR-FE
    RAS, 285/75 DTs, dual battery, SS3 Pro
    1. Ultimately subjective. I’ve never thought any vehicle’s seat was uncomfortable. I do a lot of deadlifts though.

2. Your new truck is tuned for an extra 0.0001 mpg efficiency. It has more nannies. A tune or a pedal commander or just driving in tow/haul mode will wake it up. You can turn off all nannies with the following:
    • push your traction control button to turn on Auto LSD.
    • now, push and hold the same button for 3 seconds.
    • push and hold the same button for 3 seconds a second time.
    All nannies are off. Enable tow/haul mode for the most fun. The forum calls this “beast mode”, and the only bummer about it is, you have to do it every time you start the truck. It doesn’t stay on after you shut the truck off.

3. The Pro is the only trim with a different exhaust. You’ve got to remember, this truck was designed in 2006 and still gets 14mpg in an age when manufacturers are forced to wring out every last drop of efficiency to satisfy our EPA overlords. I would expect that later 5.7 Tundras have thinner paint, less sound deadening material in the doors and cab floor, and maybe even thinner sheet metal. I know there is a huge difference in sound when I shut the door of my ‘21 Tundra vs when I shut the door of my wife’s ‘09 LX570.

User170512 likes this.
  4. Jul 21, 2024 at 11:22 PM
    fyrhawker

fyrhawker [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra limited
    Thnx for the info, I Thought I might be getting punked at first. So I looked around to make sure no one was watching before I tried it. Sure enough, it worked. I was able to turn off the “nannies”, big difference. I’m completely unaware of how the whole engine tuning works but does this procedure actually temporarily adjust the tuning vie the ECU?

5. Jul 22, 2024 at 12:21 AM
    Gman6112

Gman6112 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    2. The engine seem noticeably sluggish and less responsive compared to the 08.
    3. The noise level in the cab from the engine/exhaust is a bit louder.
    Do the TRD's com with a loader exhaust or just the TRD Pros?
    Any body have some things to add?[/QUOTE]

I agree the 19, 21 I drove were such sluggish trucks.

6. Jul 22, 2024 at 12:47 AM
    blenton

blenton New Member

Member:
    My ‘15 sequoia had some different pedal mapping and throttle body limits (on the software side) than my ‘13 tundra. It felt kinda lazy, but could still scoot when you put your foot down. Driving was very laid back, old man out of room a Sunday drive type of deal. I looked at both of the stock tune files and could see sublet differences in those differences that made huge differences in driving feel.

I had OTT work it over and it feels much more like my ‘13 did stock, with some improvements.

I can’t speak for the seats, as I’ve spent very little time in a 2.5 Gen.

The cab is identical from 07-21, with different seats, dash, and door cards in the ‘14+ trucks. I wouldn’t think that they would change much with the sound deadening if going like for like on trim level. But I think they might omit one of the resonators on the tailpipe with some of the TRD trims. Again, comparing my tundra and my sequoia - the TRD tundra doesn’t have a resonator on the tailpipe, whereas the SR5 sequoia does. It’s about the size of a junior football close to the end of the tailpipe. Stock for stock, my tundra was louder than my sequoia. Curious if you have the resonator on your new truck.

Silver17 and User170512 like this.
  7. Jul 22, 2024 at 4:46 AM
    woods

woods New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 TRD Sport
    I would almost say, the time on those seats made it more comfortable as it conformed to you. I won't defend the ones in my 21' though. When I added seat jackers, it made a huge difference for my comfort, maybe look into those.

As for the engine, this is interesting. My buddy has a 2nd gen and always talked about its balls, I got my 21 and it was okay, but I would never tell anyone my truck "flys". The tuning being different explains that. The 21 reminds me of our 4runner we had, if you stomp long enough, it eventually goes fast, but it certiantly is not fast or powerful in any meaningful way. My Wifes V8 Yukon is a rocket ship compared to my Tundra.

8. Jul 22, 2024 at 5:48 AM
    Jaypown

Jaypown New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Rubber City
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra TRD Sport CM 4x4 MGM
    I thought i've read somewhere that it was something in the gas pedal in the 2.0's that were more sensitive than the 2.5's. That's why it feels more touchy.

9. Jul 22, 2024 at 8:18 AM
    Bergmen

Bergmen New Member

Member:
    Ukiah, California
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue Pearl DC 4X2 SR5
    My son had a 2008 for awhile. In comparing his to my 2018, it seemed to have parallel performance if I had TOW/HAUL engaged. So, my thought is my 2018 has a softer throttle response in standard mode and stronger response (equal to 2.0 gen) with TOW/HAUL.

Dan

woods likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top