1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2022 Tundra vs 2022 F-150 opinion?

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by john1062, Dec 3, 2021.

1. Apr 18, 2024 at 10:39 AM
    Jaxyaks

Jaxyaks New Member

Member:
    Don't go talking facts....I bet there will be an increase on google searches for fully floating axles now...

Mattedfred and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  2. Apr 18, 2024 at 11:17 AM
    Polo08816

Polo08816 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 BMW 335i
    Is this recall for an engine that's available for the F150 platform?

3. Apr 18, 2024 at 11:25 AM
    Bannerman

Bannerman Tasteful Thickness

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnson
    That would be incredibly frustrating. Especially when they have to go in twice, temporary fix and then again for the permanent fix. Hopefully those affected owners remember to show up with an almost empty fuel tank as that has to be dropped each time.

4. Apr 18, 2024 at 11:44 AM
    BoulderGT3

BoulderGT3 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Glen
    Vehicle:
    2023 1794 4X4 BP/Saddle ADV Steps
    I think it's a recall on a recall and a permanent fix later.
    Broncos and Escapes.
    The expense on this has to be frustrating if you work at Ford.

5. Apr 18, 2024 at 1:47 PM
    eharri3

eharri3 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 F150 Powerboost
    No I think the big Bronco may share the 2.7 but the baby Bronco and Escape don't share an F150 motor. Little 4 bangers

6. Apr 19, 2024 at 5:25 AM
    Lopo

Lopo New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 Powerboost
    Long time lurker, first time poster!!!

I am a powerboost owner who just spent 4 ish months waiting for a repair on the starting system. Episodic rounds of the orange wrench popping up on the dash with no electric motor function. The truck never left me stranded but it constantly leaves me wondering when it will. Ford service is a whole nother story on itself.
    It’s sad in that I really enjoy the truck but I have been test driving Gen 2.5’s this week…

7. Apr 19, 2024 at 7:07 AM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr somewhere remote guzzling dealer repellent

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    TRD Fox, RAS, 285/75 DTs, dual battery, SS3 Pro
    Allow me to pre-emptively welcome you to the dinosaur club. These 2.5 gen trucks will last forever. The only trick is, you have to keep filling the tank with dealer repellent.

8. Apr 19, 2024 at 7:30 AM
    eharri3

eharri3 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 F150 Powerboost
    In 2 yrs I had some berserk software caused by the reflash for the dropping tailgate recall that put me in a loaner for 15 days and a heat exchanger replacement that had me in and out in a day. That malfunction caused no drivability issues besides a check engine light. I am waiting to see what else happens and what the new Ram Charger looks like when it hits the streets. I got the 8/100 ESP with rental reimbursement to give myself time to work with.

Incredibly fun truck and I love the 7.2 kw system so Im hoping my hand doesn't get forced super early.

9. Apr 19, 2024 at 7:41 AM
    cmiles97

cmiles97 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toytota Tundra SR5 4x4 XP
    XP package
    I would never buy a 1st year model of anything from Stellantis.

Even Toyota had a few hiccups.

Stellantis is no where near Toyota in long term quality or reliability

10. Apr 19, 2024 at 8:39 AM
    eharri3

eharri3 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 F150 Powerboost
    Yeah it is out in 2025 so I have 5-6 years to look at it. Who knows what ends up happening. I was looking to hold the Powerboost 10 years but add something sporty to the driveway around the 5 year mark. If the Ram Charger looks more attractive in a few years I may jump to that and be happy just with that and give up my dream of putting a muscle car back in the driveway. I could also get into another muscle car a few years down the line then when it's time for the powerboost to go replace it with a used half ton or SUV without a whole bunch of tech.

cmiles97 likes this.
  11. Apr 19, 2024 at 10:41 AM
    cmiles97

cmiles97 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    XP package
    I went backward because of tech. 2022 Ford Edge ST loaded with tech to a 2018 Tundra, thinking it will outlast the Ford because of very little intrusive tech to go bad. If I lose the pre collision and radar cruise control, I can still drive it. Not so if the steering actuator for the lane centering and parking assist goes on the Ford. I went down the low tech road after my 2015 Avalon hybrid rear window shade stopped working. Only $3,500 to replace, under warranty.

eharri3[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Apr 19, 2024 at 11:05 AM
    Lopo

Lopo New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 Powerboost
    Are you happy with your 18'? I looked at a beat down Canadian 20' SR5/ OR ( 50K miles ) and a Canadian 18' Sr5 last night (20K miles & clean) , love the seat heaters in both but missed things like power rear window sliders and updated head unit in the 18. They actually has suprisingly different road feel. ( Sorry to stray off topic... )

Last edited: Apr 19, 2024
    cmiles97 likes this.
  13. Apr 19, 2024 at 11:47 AM
    mass-hole

mass-hole New Member

Member:
    Or a google search to find out you don’t need a full floater to carry 2000 lbs of payload. You know, like the HDPP axles on the F150's that have >3300 lbs of payload and a 4800 lb axle capacity. Also that all full floaters are not created equal. A Toyota 8" Floater from an 80 series land cruiser is not the same as a full floater from a F350 dually.

Polo08816 likes this.
  14. Apr 19, 2024 at 11:49 AM
    cmiles97

cmiles97 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    XP package
    Mine is an SR5 with what SE Toyota (Distributor to SE USA) XP package added. Basically adding different tires, fender flares, running boards, badges blacked out and this one came with a hard foldable bed cover which is very heavy. 1 owner with 32,500 miles when I purchased it last September.

It has been fantastic. It spent it's life in FL, garaged by the look of the paint, under body & under the hood. I have put around 7,000 miles on it and it is still like new. It does get thirsty as I am averaging around 15 mpg without towing. I really like how it drives and rides. Then again I am 56 and don't need all the electronic nannies because I don't stare at my phone while driving. As long as I can receive calls over the hands free/ radio I'm good to go. Text alerts while driving are turned off and send a message back that I am driving, please call if urgent.

Also 18 is the last year of the factory provided transmission cooler with the towing package.

PS that's my company provided Chevy next to it. A 4yclinder turbo 1 wheel drive version LOL

front.jpg left side.jpg

Tundrastruck91 and Lopo[QUOTED] like this.
  15. Apr 19, 2024 at 12:01 PM
    cmiles97

cmiles97 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    XP package
    Back to topic.

Even with the huge incentives and low financing rates locally in Brandon, FL I will not trade in for a UAW strike era built F-150. Even with the incentives, the lowest priced on the lot, 2023 4x4 with 2.7L turbo is $50k. Too many quality issues and still a high price.

I bought this Tundra from a Ford dealer, who keeps calling me to trade in.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2024
  16. Apr 20, 2024 at 3:21 PM
    TundraLLama

TundraLLama New Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Platinum Tundra
    Color matched mirror caps and door handles TRD dual exhaust TRD shift knob TRD Pro FOX shocks Spray in LINEX bed liner TRD 18” wheels FOX TRD Pro suspension Michelin 275/65r18 LTX AT2 Soft top Roll up bed cover Go Rhino RB10 running boards TRD Pro LED blackout headlights TRD Pro LED blackout fog lights TRD Pro grille AJT DESIGN blackout vent/shift/cup holder Wireless charging tray Remote starter Upgraded alpine speakers, amp, dual sub box. Rear underseat storage.
    Oh boy, glad I found this thread. In October I traded in my 2015 platinum tundra that I pretty much turned into a Trd Pro because it was developing a leak around the timing chain cover and I was only getting about 11 miles per gallon for a 2022 Ford F150 lariat powerboost.
    The F150 was used with 12,000 miles on it. That was actually the sales managers vehicle. It is honestly one of the nicest trucks I’ve ever owned. A little history I had to F150s before I bought my tundra and could not stand the fact that Fords nickel and dimed me. When I took the F150 for a test drive, I fell in love with it. Ford has definitely came along way in their finish and ride quality. Having the pro power on board is a game changer and a truck is completely loaded with everything that you could ask for
    So currently my truck has almost 20,000 miles and had a check engine light come on and off a few times. It is in the shop right now and they are replacing a belt driven motor that I believe starts and stops the vehicle when it goes into hybrid mode. One thing I did do was get the extended warranty until 2030 or 125,000 miles whichever comes first so I’m not too worried about anything.
    That said, I am still this weekend looking at the new Tundra and debating whether I should trade my F150 in and jump back on the Toyota bandwagon. My friend is a salesman at my local Toyota dealer and can get me a decent trade-in offer where my truck will pretty much be paid for however, I’m sure my payment will be bigger and I won’t have the warranty. On top of that I am afraid of this new Tundra reliability And I am not a fan of the huge grill and size of the vehicle in general.
    Do I miss my old Tundra? definitely. That thing was essentially bulletproof and were free minus what was gonna come down the road with the leak and with prices rising the MPG thing was getting old. My F150 power boost I can get anywhere from 18 to 32 miles a gallon depending on the weather and where and how I am driving. If anyone has any questions or feedback, feel free to chime in. I miss this forum as my Tundra brothers and sisters are some of the coolest around. IMG_6218.jpg

TundraLaw likes this.
  17. Apr 20, 2024 at 4:58 PM
    Breathing Borla

Breathing Borla I'd rather be fishing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Platinum 4x4 Crewmax
    o my eyes, too much circle the problem for you in that pic, ha :burp:

18. Apr 20, 2024 at 5:41 PM
    js312

js312 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 F-150 Lariat PowerBoost
    Belt Integrated Starter Generator. Doesn't seem super widespread, but enough for Ford to have written a TSB for the diagnosis of its failure. My truck threw a silent (no light, no FordPass notification) code for it once, but I only knew because I paid for a few days of PTS and was looking through the history. It hadn't happened again last I looked.

I also have the Ford factory warranty through the end of 2029 and 125k.

So far (~8000 miles), my issues/complaints/praises are as follows:

• My only dealer visit was for a DSP update to fix an issue where two speakers occasionally didn't work on startup. It did fix the problem.
    • I do have one rattle that I can't track down because it comes and goes. Every time I want to try again, it isn't happening. It's on the passenger side somewhere and is fairly subtle. I tried to get my fiancee to help pinpoint it, but she isn't as sensitive to these things as I am.
    • I'm averaging about 22.5 MPG since I've owned the truck. This is with all winter fuel, remote starting most mornings, a little towing. We're just starting to get warmer weather and summer fuel should hit the pumps soon so I'm thinking I'll be able to exceed the 23 MPG rating.
    • I did use the ProPower system once. Powered my refrigerator, some lights, pellet stove, etc. during a storm. The truck would start about 5 times an hour, running for a minute or so each time, to keep up with the load. Pretty cool!
    • The auto climate control still drives me nuts on longer (hour +) drives. It just keeps getting hotter and hotter. There are lots of reports about this on 2022s and 2023s, but no one seems to have a dealer that has definitively solved it.
    • I've discovered that the 8-Speaker B&O system seems to be sensitive to cold. It definitely sounds better when the cab is warmer. It tends to get a little flat in cold weather. I've also discovered if I leave it in "stereo" instead of surround, it's less center channel heavy. I still miss the previous generation B&O system, but it's good enough to not annoy me now.
    • One of my early complaints was the drivetrain is a little herky-jerky. I've either become less sensitive to this, or it's learned more and ironed itself out. It was brutal for the first 500 miles or so.
    • I've towed with the truck a few times now - the most being my small Kubota BX tractor (I think it's around 2300 lbs with the mowing deck and front end loader) on my 16 ft car hauler (1900ish lbs), so ~4200 lbs. Not terribly heavy by any means, but I got 19 MPG towing it on fairly easy terrain for 60 miles. I usually don't tow more than 6000 lbs - that's when I bring wood pellets home on the same trailer. The towing features are really neat - it'll track the miles per gallon per trailer and adjust your distance to empty accordingly, for example.
    • Overall, I still love the truck. The comfort, performance, and tech are all top notch. I'm hoping reliability continues to be good.

19. Apr 20, 2024 at 5:43 PM
    eharri3

eharri3 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 F150 Powerboost
    Ford has I think doubled Powerboost production and cut the price differential between it and a standard Ecoboost truck. so despite the problems, unlike pure EVs they see this segment blowing up going forward and don't want to be left out.

I'm just waiting for That first hybrid half ton comparo between The Tundra, Ram Charger and Powerboost where 0-60 in the high 5s and just under 14 in the 1/4 mile is the back of the pack.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2024
    TundraLLama likes this.
  20. Apr 21, 2024 at 11:16 AM
    TundraLLama

TundraLLama New Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    Color matched mirror caps and door handles TRD dual exhaust TRD shift knob TRD Pro FOX shocks Spray in LINEX bed liner TRD 18” wheels FOX TRD Pro suspension Michelin 275/65r18 LTX AT2 Soft top Roll up bed cover Go Rhino RB10 running boards TRD Pro LED blackout headlights TRD Pro LED blackout fog lights TRD Pro grille AJT DESIGN blackout vent/shift/cup holder Wireless charging tray Remote starter Upgraded alpine speakers, amp, dual sub box. Rear underseat storage.
    Thank you! Great info. Yes, that’s exactly at the thing that you mentioned that the mechanic told me he was replacing Thursday.
    I’ve only used the pro on board on one of our construction sites to charge up some cordless batteries but now I will probably never lose power in my house owning this truck

I also forgot to mention I did have a little gremlin very my new rattle in a driver side door, kind of near the grab handle and window switches. It was only evident when the radio was off, which is almost never, and only happened sometimes a little knee pressure against the panel in the sound will go away for a short time. It’s in the shop now and I’m driving an explorer ST which is freaking zippy and fun to drive as a loaner my 15 Tundra had a rattle gremlin in the dashboard that was much more evident, but I overlooked it because the truck had over 100 K on it.
    I’m gonna go see my friend this Tuesday at the dealership and take a Tundras out for a test drive. On a silly sidenote I do miss Toyota dealerships. Ford is much more working man’s no nonsense with Toyota had a little flash and pizzazz when you needed something. lol.
    I’m sure I’ll end up keeping my F150 because overall it has been a great truck and a pleasure to drive. Very quiet and comfortable. This past winter in the north east the heated steering wheel and seats were a game changer. My wife said on par with her Lexus RX 350. I don’t tow with it so I don’t need to worry about that. The only thing I was thinking of doing was putting some 2.0 coil overs and rash shocks in it to give it a slight level. That will be in the future if that all.

21. Apr 21, 2024 at 11:21 AM
    TundraLLama

TundraLLama New Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    I think Fastlane did a comparison on the tundra and F150 hybrids. Tundra hybrid system is more for speed and torque where Ford uses them for that but also to get better MPG. There is a point when I drive my F150 power boost that it turns into an all electric running vehicle therefore increasing MPGs You have the benefit of the pro power on board system if you select that option, not sure what‘s RAM is going to have to offer. It depends what you’re looking for in a truck. My decision to go with Ford was more useful options where my truck is more of a tool. Plus, the zone lighting on the thing is great as well. To light up an area where you may be working or camping.

22. Apr 21, 2024 at 12:14 PM
    eharri3

eharri3 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 F150 Powerboost
    Ram supposed to get something comparable to propower onboard which I'd think will up pressure on Toyota to do something along those lines.

The really Intriguing thing about the Rancharger is I think the electric motor will be the primary propulsion unit and the gas one's purposes will be to periodically recharge it and supplement it in heavy throttle scenarios. It's not a PURE EV where the electric motor does all the work.

But it really sounds closer to a pure EV charged by an onboard gas generator than to a traditional hybrid. OTOH The Powerboost is mainly propelled by the V6 with the electric motor chipping in a little bit when it's charged and driving conditions are light enough.

More realistic possibility of something approaching 700 mile real world range, which is strictly 55 mph hypermile flat or downhill road trip stuff in the Powerboost.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2024
    TundraLLama[QUOTED] likes this.
  23. Apr 22, 2024 at 6:00 AM
    Lopo

Lopo New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 Powerboost
    Starter Generator was replaced on my 21' Powerboost a few weeks ago. The part was on backorder for months.

TundraLaw, eharri3 and TundraLLama like this.
  24. Apr 22, 2024 at 6:59 AM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr somewhere remote guzzling dealer repellent

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    TRD Fox, RAS, 285/75 DTs, dual battery, SS3 Pro
    Woah, full size trucks and HD trucks can be equipped to carry more than a midsize HD truck? Please tell us more. :rolleyes:

25. Apr 22, 2024 at 7:17 AM
    kilocharlie106

kilocharlie106 mmmm Bourbon

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro in LR
    I think Ford is producing more PBs as they want to be seen as the leader in Hybrid trucks and doesnt want Toyota to out produce them in that segment.

What irritates me is Toyota says the iForceMax is all about power and not MPGs, yet from comparisons the Ford PB does way better 0-60 and MPGs.

26. Apr 22, 2024 at 8:47 AM
    Bannerman

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnson
    I think it just weighs a lot more, what with the steel vs aluminum.

Sidebar: If you see this Penelope 9 year black label I strongly recommend you pick it up. Probably my favorite bourbon right now.

AP1GczPnVy8tEjGLzkmw8cHFW8Abo0LcqWXKHy--_0d4cab59134dff7d75b6d919040cd9d8c83f1edf.jpg

27. Apr 22, 2024 at 8:48 AM
    Bannerman

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnson
    Like what?

28. Apr 22, 2024 at 9:07 AM
    Breathing Borla

Breathing Borla I'd rather be fishing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Platinum 4x4 Crewmax
    steel:burp:

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  29. Apr 22, 2024 at 9:28 AM
    kilocharlie106

kilocharlie106 mmmm Bourbon

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro in LR
    yes, Penelope has some good ones. Toasted Barrel Strength is good too. thanks for thinking of me.

Weight of 6-700lbs is gonna cost it over a half second to 60? I don't care that much bc I am not racing around, but if youre gonna tout the hybrid is all power give me numbers that are better than competition

30. Apr 22, 2024 at 9:31 AM
    Bannerman

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnson
    I have the Toasted Barrel Strength as well, I think I've had most of their bottles at this point.

Yeah I don't know about the weight vs take off speed. I'd guess the 3.31 rear end doesn't do the Tundra any favors there. All Powerboost are 3.73.

Products Discussed in

To Top