1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CarPlay sucks

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Dpoll995, Apr 28, 2024.

1. Apr 28, 2024 at 6:42 PM
    Dpoll995

Dpoll995 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    2024 Tundra Limited
    Is it me or is CarPlay complete trash? I hate it more every day. Guess I’m gonna switch over to Bluetooth. Texts pop up but you can hardly hear them. My teams app will show notifications but no preview. My garage door app shows no notifications, I was used to getting the notifications on my phone when the door closed. With CarPlay it’s shows nothing. Several times I have gotten 1/2 mile down the road and had to pull over and pull out my phone to check the app and see if the door closed or not. This is my first CarPlay vehicle, I like Apple, but they have really dropped the ball on this shit…

2. Apr 28, 2024 at 7:20 PM
    brtnstrns

brtnstrns New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2024 Tundra Platinum HV; 2022 Polestar 2
    It's kind of a wonky procedure, but for the volume issue with texts and Siri or whatever: press and hold the voice button, then once it's been activated, turn the volume knob up. It'll set the volume for Siri/text reading/etc in CarPlay.

No idea why it's set up like that in this generation of Toyotas. Even the native system mutes whatever you're listening to to read or send messages, so not sure why Carplay does the weird "keep music on but fade to the right" thing. But once you've turned the volume up on it, it should stay at whatever setting from then on and you can hear everything okay.

No clue about your other apps, I pretty much just use Carplay for music and directions and voice.

3. Apr 28, 2024 at 7:26 PM
    Dpoll995

Dpoll995 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    2024 Tundra Limited
    Another thing I noticed was my music play list sometimes don’t show all the songs. I noticed it a few times, went to play list looking for a song that I know was in the list and it wasn’t there. Few days later all of a sudden all songs show up. I just swapped back over to Bluetooth and to be honest the interface seems like an upgrade from CarPlay, except no navigation now. I’ll have to run nav old school now just use it on the phone.

4. Apr 28, 2024 at 8:06 PM
    Reissue

Reissue New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Just remember CarPlay is an integrated Apple experience and not anything to do with Toyota. Apple pushes updates that fix some things, and creates other issues. Just as any system goes, they all have their quirks (like having to increase Siri’s volume while talking vs overall master volume).

5. Apr 28, 2024 at 8:10 PM
    Dpoll995

Dpoll995 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    2024 Tundra Limited
    Oh I know. I still love my new Tundra. I’m pissed at apple for this garbage. It’s hard to believe this CarPlay has been out for this long and how shitty it is.

6. Apr 28, 2024 at 8:49 PM
    pyoung62

pyoung62 Retired

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra 1794 Edition
    Yes and no. Carplay has some capabilities that car mfgs can choose to utilize. For example, on my son’s VW Jetta, he can browse all his music while the vehicle is in motion. Buicks (I’ve read) allow it as well. Toyotas and Fords (from my personal experience) only allow you to browse all your music when the vehicle is stopped based on the GPS in-motion signal. The car mfgs choose to ignore it or not. So when my wife and I are on trips and she’s manning the music, she has to pick up my phone and look at the screen to browse our music instead of using the 14” screen in the middle of the dash. “Use Siri” is the Apple response to this. Except when you get the dreaded “something went wrong” response, which happens way to often. Siri sucks.

7. Apr 28, 2024 at 8:50 PM
    Hella Krusty

Hella Krusty New Member

Member:
    I just look in my mirror when I drive out of the garage. Don't see the point in waiting for my phone to tell me that......more work looking at the phone

koditten and JLS in WA like this.
  8. Apr 29, 2024 at 5:15 AM
    Dpoll995

Dpoll995 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    2024 Tundra Limited
    i park in the street and wifes GX in driveway but we use the garage as the main entrance/exit to the house so the GX kinda blocks my view of the door, i have to make a conscious effort to check it since carplay blocks the notifications. its not that im looking at my phone, its the ding notification from my watch that lets me know. but with carplay no notifications go to watch. its like carplay is taking over and gets to decide what they want to show or not. i know all this seems petty but its a comfort issue for me and these small things have been adding up in the irritation column. i would have expected better from Apple. coming from no carplay to this now i can see i wasnt missing anything. bluetooth worked great this morning. i like how i can now see notifications on my watch again, i like the phone interface better, and the radio interface is also laid out better now.

Products Discussed in

To Top