1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2022/2023 Tonneau cover recall

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by wedemmoez, Mar 3, 2023.

1. Jun 2, 2023 at 5:38 AM
    22whatwedo

22whatwedo New Member

Member:
    The Open Road
    Vehicle:
    22 SR5 TRD OR Army Green
    Had free oil change at the dealer a few days ago. He laughed when I mentioned the recall, said they don’t know what it’s all about yet but not to worry, they don’t think the cover will come off either and they were not interested in pulling it off. He said just sit and wait. Sounds good to me. They were not in the least part worried about it.

Hella Krusty likes this.
  2. Jun 2, 2023 at 8:44 AM
    Ketterus

Ketterus New Member

Member:
    A few weeks ago Toyota removed my cover and issued me an immediate $1350 refund. Next day I ordered a leer xr shell which was installed 2 days ago. I am a happier camper no pun intended IMG_0207.jpg

earlwright239 likes this.
  3. Jun 3, 2023 at 3:09 PM
    AND

AND New Member

Member:
    Washington, PNW
    Damn thats nice, where are you located?

Ikhan likes this.
  4. Jun 4, 2023 at 6:18 PM
    Snomej

Snomej New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    2022 Celestial Silver Platinum
    Interesting, sounds like two separate points of failure then. I checked the nuts once the recall was issued and found my passenger side had fallen off and was sitting in the bed. Driver side was a little loose. Tightened them up, drove it for a while and checked again - found the passenger side loosey goosey. At that point, I used loctite

Ikhan and cruiserhead like this.
  5. Jun 4, 2023 at 8:34 PM
    Hella Krusty

Hella Krusty New Member

Member:
    He has ran that up the flag pole before, an owner posted his flew off with the tailgate UP......and both thumb wheels nuts were laying in the box after the fact. I used Loctite on mine and 5 months later it is still on the truck. Had it up and 50 mph, down at 80 mph.........has not budged.

What kind of tool thinks the only 2 nuts securing it to the truck falling off is not a point of failure????

6. Jun 5, 2023 at 6:20 AM
    Toyota Lover2

Toyota Lover2 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2008_Sequoia_with_96k_bearing_failures
    Not that this is a cure... Lets me believe the cover will not escape until Toyota comes out with a fix. BTW, the wood is NOT involved with the "improvement"

20230521_170138[10772].jpg

Last edited: Jun 5, 2023
  7. Jun 5, 2023 at 7:48 AM
    Hella Krusty

Hella Krusty New Member

Member:
    Excellent idea. Triple nutted and cabled down

8. Jun 5, 2023 at 8:44 AM
    Toyota Lover2

Toyota Lover2 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2008_Sequoia_with_96k_bearing_failures
    I hope it never gets tested. But I believe it buys me some time to become aware if it comes loose before becoming a hood ornament on the car behind me

9. Jun 7, 2023 at 8:17 PM
    Chugbug

Chugbug New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Platinum, Midnight Black
    Spoke with the Dealership again today and was told the problem is not the wheel nuts.....if the cover is in the up position against the cab, wind can get under it rip it off. The panel next to the cab does not have a latch at the fold point and the only thing holding it to the bed is where the wheel nuts attach and its weak at best. If the cover is closed it will not come off. They said there is still no movement on the recall but it will be a replacement or reimbursement. And so it continues................

gj953, bballjames and Yaboy like this.
  10. Jun 8, 2023 at 11:33 AM
    maddon

maddon New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Platinum Crew Max Celestial Silver 2WD 6.5 Bed
    Stock Bed Liner, Tonneau Cover & Floor Mats
    Hello all,

I too received all the tonneau cover recall letters and notifications on my stock OEM Toyota (aka BAK Backflip) cover. I inspected the two under cover hand-tightened bolts and indeed they were loose. I re-tightened and added Blue Loctite as a precaution. However, I may have tightened them too much as the top end "circle" resulted in caving in a little on the cover as there is no way to keep them from turning with the bolts as you tighten them (no teeth). I was not too comfortable with the cover folded up, resting against the rear window and then propped up with those two antenna braces. I agree with others on this thread, I believe the bolts were not the main culprit, rather a combination of the bolts, design, opened, closed, etc. It's major if it is a mandatory recall. So, I erred on the side of caution.
    IMG_0945.jpg IMG_0935.jpg IMG_0936.jpg IMG_0937.jpg IMG_0945.jpg IMG_0935.jpg IMG_0936.jpg IMG_0937.jpg
    I advised the dealer where I purchased the truck and they were straightforward: removed cover, rails, screws and followed up with a check for full-reimbursement (sticker price) of the cover.

I ended up purchasing the BAK X4s Revolver which, so far, is working out fine. Took me about 1.5 hours to install. The YouTube video really helped. Rolled up, I do not get the rear window blockage and flapping stress. IMG_0935.jpg IMG_0936.jpg IMG_0937.jpg

11. Jun 8, 2023 at 5:14 PM
    19Voodoomax

19Voodoomax New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Dundee,Oregon.
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra TRD Pro
    Saw Madden’s post today and decided to call Toyota Customer Service during lunch break. Talked to Moses and he told me that since Toyota doesn’t have a fix for the tonneau cover recall that if you purchased the tonneau cover when you purchased your Tundra that dealerships will be reimbursing customers for the tonneau cover since Toyota has no end in sight for this recall so, if you had the tonneau cover added to your purchase you should be entitled to a reimbursement for the cost of that item plus installation charges.

12. Jun 12, 2023 at 7:12 PM
    Ketterus

Ketterus New Member

Member:
    Sorry I didn’t see your post. I am located in Cleveland Tennessee. Thanks for the comment. I really love the Leer cap.

AND[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Jun 12, 2023 at 7:50 PM
    Jkwolfe09

Jkwolfe09 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerren
    Is it only the dealers where you bought the truck originally offering refunds?

14. Jun 13, 2023 at 3:26 AM
    Ketterus

Ketterus New Member

Member:
    In my case I received the refund from the dealership where I purchased my Tundra.

I purchased the tonneau about a week after I bought the truck and self installed.

I am thinking at this point any dealership would be willing to go through the refund process if you engage your service advisor. Obviously there is a reimbursement agreement between Toyota and the dealerships, they just have not decided to make this public knowledge. IMG_0312.jpg

15. Jun 13, 2023 at 11:35 AM
    NBGKBN

NBGKBN New Member

Member:
    People are getting reimbursed? My dealership hasn't offered me a dime. I financed my Tundra, so unless Toyota covers that cost, I'll end up paying for something I'll never get.

I traded my Tacoma (with tonneau) for the long bed Tundra (with tonneau) so I could sell my enclosed trailer. I sold the trailer, then Lia Toyota removed and retained my cover. If they offer to replace it with a differently configured tonneau, I'm screwed. I provided an honest response to the Lia Toyota survey, and they were all butt-hurt. The removed my cover and refuse to return it to me and insisted TMNA required them to keep personal property. Imagine buying 4 tires and having the dealer say "We're keeping the third until we hear from the manufacturer".

The other issue: The plastic bottom (controls) part of the seat cracked and shattered. No impact, just a 230 lb. ass in the seat.

16. Jun 13, 2023 at 12:15 PM
    Dugnor

Dugnor New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra 1794 WCP
    Just had my 10,000 mile service today. They just marked in their computer that I refused the recall at this time/service. I told them I would just wait for the "fix".

17. Jun 13, 2023 at 12:20 PM
    NBGKBN

NBGKBN New Member

Member:
    I bought the truck at 9:58 with a cover. The delivered it at 10:14 without a cover. I demanded they return the cover. They said "legally, we can't". I asked for statutory notation, they said "legally, we can't". I contacted the Attorney General which made matters comical. "Yes we kept it and he paid for it, but Toyota told us to."

According to TMNA, Toyota never has, nor never would, instruct dealerships to confiscate personal property.

There are many dealerships, just avoid Lia.

18. Jun 14, 2023 at 7:18 AM
    19Voodoomax

19Voodoomax New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Dundee,Oregon.
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra TRD Pro
    If you bought or leased your Tundra you most likely will not get a refund check. The refund amount will go back to Toyota and be put as a credit on your loan or lease. That’s my situation. I was told to choose other accessories to add to my truck so, the money didn’t go back to Toyota Financial on my lease. I think I’m going to hold out for the tonneau cover.

19. Jun 14, 2023 at 7:46 AM
    NBGKBN

NBGKBN New Member

Member:
    I've been offered nothing. I was told I was being difficult which upsets me because what I am is impossible. It is not possible to satisfy me when the terms remain unmet. The recall was issued before my purchase, yet the tonneau was included in my purchase, removed, and confiscated. Had they simply excluded it from the sale, I'd have bought a cover and saved $700 on uHaul enclosed trailer rentals.

The story is even more frustrating: I sold my enclosed trailer when I traded my Tacoma for the Tundra.

raylo likes this.
  20. Jun 15, 2023 at 12:36 PM
    TRDx2

TRDx2 New Member

Member:
    Got my check today. FWIW, I financed through Toyota - the lien holder has no bearing on reimbursement.

I simply filled out the web form for Toyota Brand Engagement, they had the dealer call me the next day and I just asked to be reimbursed for the tonneau cover. The asked for a copy of my window sticker and VIN, 11 days later I got the check in the mail.

As many others have noted, the process is highly dependent on two tiers of management: your dealer’s customer service lead and the regional Toyota rep.

As for how it happened, I can’t be sure what happened between my dealer and Toyota, but I was kind to everyone I spoke with and clearly articulated my ask as “I would like to be reimbursed $1295 for the recalled tonneau cover for which there is no available remedy and no timeframe for resolution.”

vzmotion and ryanwgregg like this.
  21. Jun 15, 2023 at 12:48 PM
    19Voodoomax

19Voodoomax New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Dundee,Oregon.
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra TRD Pro
    Do you have a link to the web form ?

22. Jun 15, 2023 at 12:50 PM
    raylo

raylo not so new member

Member:
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5 DC 6.5 bed Lunar Rock, TRD OR +Options
    DashCam, amp and subwoofer, DIY rear seat delete
    I have to ask, was your cover a dealer installed option or did it come with it from the factory on the OEM part of the window sticker? Mine came with cover from the factory and it is on the OEM part of the sticker, not DIO, and I was shot down by Toyota for a refund.

23. Jun 15, 2023 at 1:47 PM
    Spickett78

Spickett78 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Crewmax 6.7' Limited TRD OR Premium Magnetic Gray
    3" TRD lift Talon's Garage Steel powder coated transmission skid plate / Cat cover RCI Steel powder coated skid plate Go Rhino D6 steps Nytop front recovery points
    I had this on a road trip two weeks ago. Cover was totally down, nothing pushing it up and locked in place but crosswinds in Kansas before a huge storm were lifting up the second piece from the tailgate that doesn't have the locks on it. It was only moving up about half an inch but I was sweating it knowing about the recall. However when we got in the REALLY bad storm I was glad I had it anyway.

Chugbug[QUOTED] likes this.
  24. Jun 15, 2023 at 5:17 PM
    TRDx2

TRDx2 New Member

Member:
    vzmotion, ToyoMon and raylo like this.
  25. Jun 15, 2023 at 5:21 PM
    TRDx2

TRDx2 New Member

Member:
    Optional equipment on manufacturer sticker, I had no DIO.

Interestingly, my truck was actually one of two units in an “outdoors” display at Bass Pro Shops for a while.

raylo[QUOTED] likes this.
  26. Jun 15, 2023 at 5:57 PM
    raylo

raylo not so new member

Member:
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5 DC 6.5 bed Lunar Rock, TRD OR +Options
    DashCam, amp and subwoofer, DIY rear seat delete
    Cool, that's like mine then. Thanks for the link to the form. The part of this I guess I still don't understand with the cover coming from the factory is what if anything the dealer has to do with the process and why you had to engage him. In any case, I will be getting on this over the weekend to try to get a refund. This is really pissing me off.

27. Jun 16, 2023 at 6:39 AM
    Spickett78

Spickett78 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Crewmax 6.7' Limited TRD OR Premium Magnetic Gray
    3" TRD lift Talon's Garage Steel powder coated transmission skid plate / Cat cover RCI Steel powder coated skid plate Go Rhino D6 steps Nytop front recovery points
    I spent a long time searching but it looks like the Bakflip (who is the supplier of the OEM cover anyway)are the only ones making it where it folds all the way up. I like being able to fold it all the way up even just for access to my hi-lift and things I store in the bed. Anyone else have success looking at options? No point in getting a refund and buying the exact same thing. At least Toyota might finally fix the issue for free for me. Some day.

Hella Krusty likes this.
  28. Jun 17, 2023 at 10:30 AM
    19Voodoomax

19Voodoomax New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Dundee,Oregon.
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra TRD Pro
    Seems I was not eligible to receive the refund on the Toyota factory tonneau cover because the money would end up going back to Toyota Financial but, I was still given a credit with the dealership for $1350 I talked with the Service Manager yesterday and told him all I wanted was the tonneau cover from Toyota or from somewhere else. I was able to get the dealership to order the Premium edition Peragon Bed cover for my 2023 Tundra TRD Pro with the credit I had with the dealership. He told me this morning while I was in for a front alignment check. He said it would be here in 5 weeks. If you can work out something with your dealership I suggest you do so, You may be able to get the tonneau cover you want for your Tundra.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2023
    Spickett78 likes this.
  29. Jun 26, 2023 at 2:57 PM
    anthonyo89

anthonyo89 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Vehicle:
    2023 Platinum
    Hey for you folks who have successfully gotten a check back from whomever... What happened with the cover? Did they have to remove it before you got the check or? Might be a dumb question but its worth asking. Currently trying to input all my info on the link above but when i go to submit its telling me the website is currently not working. Guess i'll try tomorrow!

30. Jun 26, 2023 at 4:44 PM
    PNW Tundra Mike

PNW Tundra Mike Tired and ReTired

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western WA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Limited TRD-OR CMax 5.5’
    MX4 Tonneau, Talon's Trans/Cat Shield
    Interesting. First Tri-Fold I’ve heard of without latches on all sections.

Products Discussed in

To Top