1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bedrug overkill with composite bed?

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by paulphilly, Apr 18, 2024.

1. Apr 18, 2024 at 3:46 AM
    paulphilly

paulphilly [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    '24 TRD Pro
    So, I am considering a bedrug for my new '24 Pro. I have never had one before, so I am unsure if I want to drop $450 since I have a composite bed and really don't need it. I see some great examples of member installs here but it appears the full bedrug covers up the LED bed lights? I realize the bedrug mat is also an option along with simply laying a rubber mat down. Also, I am considering bed storage options like molle panels, undercover storage boxes, etc. and don't know how well the full bedrug would play along. I had the Decked system in my '22 but hated losing the bed space. Anyone with the bedrug or other options care to chime in?

2. Apr 18, 2024 at 3:59 AM
    funtruck92

funtruck92 New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2024 Tundra Platinum TRD Off Road
    TRD 3” Lift, 35” BFG KO2
    I've had the Bed Rug mat that's attached to the tailgate pad. Never the whole bed covering. It was on a truck with a topper, so it was easy to keep the back end nice and tidy, like a spare room. The Bed Rug is nice if you're going to be kneeling in the bed of your truck to do things like camp. Also, it is pretty grippy and very durable. I think the mat + the tailgate piece (attached or separate) is just over $200. I'm not sure how it is in an open bed, maybe the rubber mat would be better for that?

3. Apr 18, 2024 at 4:05 AM
    paulphilly

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    '24 TRD Pro
    Great points and unfortunately, I won't be doing any camping. I will be making the occasional trip to Lowe's and hauling things for family members. I am confident the Bedrug is overkill for my needs but it's a cool concept and dresses up the bed for sure. I have a tonneau cover and honestly a rubber mat would be just fine. But, the Bedrug just looks so clean and for the rare occasion I want to have nieces/nephews/wife in the back for a July 4th fireworks show, ice cream, or other events, it would be nice to hang out on. In the pictures I have seen, it does appear to cover up the bed LED lights which I don't like. Also, I am not sure if a molle rack system would work with the rug.

funtruck92[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Apr 18, 2024 at 4:46 AM
    Rickoo

Rickoo New Member

Member:
    I've had both the full bedrug and the XLT (covers the bed and tailgate with one piece) The XLT stops anything from falling between the bed and the tailgate. The full bedrug was in two trucks I had without any type of bed liner. These were Ford Raptors. I don't recall if I cut the openings for the lights or if they were pre-cut, but I recall they looked great. My new Tundra had a spray in liner and I put the XLT in to just cover the bed floor. It's pretty nice if you have to crawl around in the bed for something. The shape of the bottom of the rug conforms to the shape of the bed below, so it feels pretty flat when you crawl on it.

5. Apr 18, 2024 at 4:50 AM
    paulphilly

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    '24 TRD Pro
    So, now that you have the XLT, any regrets not going with the full Bedrug? I assume worst case I can carefully measure and cut out slots to allow the LED lights to function. But, I am considering bedside molle panels and I need to call Builtright to see if the panels work friendly with the cover. If not, then the XLT may be my default decision.

6. Apr 18, 2024 at 4:56 AM
    Bprose

Bprose Old member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    17 Tundra CM TRD
    I was on the fence about a bedrug for a while. Now that I have one, I love it. It’s easy on the knees, very durable, and looks good. I’ve hauled a bunch of stuff on it and it cleans up pretty easy. Pine needles from Xmas are probably the hardest things to clean but a vacuum takes care of that. I also have a tonneau cover so not sure how it does as an exposed bed liner.
    Worst case, if you get one and don’t like it, you can probably find another member here to sell it to.

paulphilly[OP] likes this.
  7. Apr 18, 2024 at 4:58 AM
    paulphilly

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    '24 TRD Pro
    You have the full coverage Bedrug or the XLT? Thanks for the response.

8. Apr 18, 2024 at 4:59 AM
    Bprose

Bprose Old member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    17 Tundra CM TRD
    Full. No bed lights. I do have factory rail system and bedrug does not interfere

9. Apr 18, 2024 at 5:04 AM
    Rickoo

Rickoo New Member

Member:
    No Regrets at all. Nothing I typically carry even goes near the sides of the bed. The spray in liner offers plenty of protection there if something did. And it looks great. My goal was to allow me to crawl in the bed if needed without destroying my hands and knees.

10. Apr 18, 2024 at 5:44 AM
    joescho

joescho New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Scranton,PA
    Vehicle:
    2024 Supersonic Red Platinum
    I did the same thing. Mine is only flat on the bed - not up the sides. I originally had an appointment for a spray on BL at Rhino Linings, but my neighbor had a piece of rug left over and I used double stick tape just to try the free option first. If it wasn't the fact that it was a cheap outdoor carpet I would still have it. I cancelled the appointment and bought the bedrug for the bed floor only. I've got a tonneau too so it doesn't get wet or anything either.

11. Apr 18, 2024 at 7:27 AM
    LakeLife

LakeLife New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra SR5 TRD
    OEM Predator steps OEM Bed Mat Peragon Limited HD bed cover TacoTunes Cat Cover TVD Vinyl decals front and tailgate lettering Tactillian Flag Magnet GatMags Flag Magnets Weather Tech windshield protection DropStop seat slot protectors Bed Rug Tailgate panel B&W Stow and go hitch Ring car camera Air Lift air bags
    I have the bed rug tailgate cover with the oem bed mat and really like the combination

Hella Krusty and paulphilly[OP] like this.
  12. Apr 18, 2024 at 8:14 AM
    SD Surfer

SD Surfer Globe Trotting Bon Vivant

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2019 SSM CM SR5 TRD OR 4X4 5.7
    I have the full Bedrug and LOVE IT!

My CPO truck came from the dealer with a drop-in plastic liner and I could not get rid of that thing fast enough.

You so much as think about braking and everything is up against the cab. One of my favorite things about the Bedrug is that things stay where you put them while driving but can be easily moved when you want to... I keep a 5' pole with a hook on the end in the bed and I can push/pull even heavy stuff anywhere in the bed without needing to get in.

Love how it's got some cush to crawl around on, I was up in there last night mounting a little shovel to my bedrails and it was nice and comfy. I agree with you about hanging out back there for the 4th or whatever, it gives it a nice feel.

I'd imagine you could still mount the Molle panels. I'm not sure how they mount but I assume they use existing threaded holes in the bed like the rails mount to? just have to locate the holes and poke a hole through the rug. Similar to how the drop down brackets for my bedrails are attached (see pic)

Since the full bedrugs are model specific I'm a little surprised they don't put cutouts in them for bedlights, if you cut them yourself you might consider doing something to bind the edges of the cutout to prevent fraying or tearing.
    I put LED strips in mine and it' makes all the difference in the world when trying to find something, or loading/unloading the bed/

In your situation the full vs. mat decision is interesting... the molle panels would cover the sides so maybe you don't need full, but the full would protect the sides from the panels and whatever you'd be taking on/off there, so maybe you do?

I personally just love the function, look, and feel of the full bedrug with tonneau.

My 1st gen had a topper with carpet kit which was nice but REALLY hard to keep clean if you did truck stuff, and a PITA to take in/out. This has all the benefits of that without the downside of having actual carpet in your truckbed.

My vote would be full bedrug.

Shovel2.jpg

Shovel1.jpg

20230518_163011.jpg

20230521_180837.jpg

20230521_181031.jpg

20230801_212309.jpg

20240309_112949.jpg

20240309_113007.jpg

20240309_113023.jpg

13. Apr 18, 2024 at 8:18 AM
    Breathing Borla

Breathing Borla I'd rather be fishing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Platinum 4x4 Crewmax
    can't you just cut out a section for the OEM bed lights?

toyota finally put them in with this gen so I wouldn't want to cover them up, they work good.

I just have the rubber bed mat which works good for me, its nice to not have to worry about rust, etc anymore

Mattedfred and paulphilly[OP] like this.
  14. Apr 18, 2024 at 12:31 PM
    Blackjp4dr

Blackjp4dr New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra CM MGM
    IMG_3010.jpg Very easy to do cutouts

15. Apr 18, 2024 at 12:35 PM
    Breathing Borla

Breathing Borla I'd rather be fishing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Platinum 4x4 Crewmax
    boom

1lowlife likes this.
  16. Apr 18, 2024 at 1:09 PM
    SD Surfer

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
  17. Apr 18, 2024 at 3:59 PM
    Bourbonator

Bourbonator New Member

Member:
    North ID
    Vehicle:
    '23 LE CM 6.5
    $450 is steep. Mine was $160 and worth every penny.

18. Apr 18, 2024 at 4:11 PM
    SD Surfer

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    I agree, $450 seemed steep when I was debating on it. But it was less than the quote I got for spray in bedliner and I like it WAY more.

I've long since forgotten about the price, and in the grand scheme of things it's literally 1% what my truck cost to outfit it just the way I like.

That makes it a little easier for me to justify.

19. Apr 18, 2024 at 5:01 PM
    paulphilly

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    '24 TRD Pro
    boom-shaka-laka indeed! That looks great. How did you do the cutouts and what did you do to prevent the edges fraying?

20. Apr 18, 2024 at 5:21 PM
    Blackjp4dr

Blackjp4dr New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra CM MGM
    Thanks. I took the lights, power port, tie downs and bed rails off.
    Do not install rails over the rug or clamps for the tonneau will be to small and will not tighten. It is much easier to cut with rails out. There are indentations where you can tuck the rug under the rail. The front rail I did not cut out and poked holes through rug and mounted rail over the rug.

For the lights I poked a hole in the center. Cut the rug and rolled it behind the cut out. Same with power port. Lights are a tight fit but will latch back in place.

Took my time and installed the bed rug. I used a new blade on every cut. Probably used 15 blades for utility knife. New blades are key to good cuts. Take your time, drink a few beers and it will turn out great. IMG_3011.jpg

21. Apr 18, 2024 at 5:30 PM
    Blue By U

Blue By U New Member

Member:
    I can't imagine not have a Bedrug. This my 08 Tacoma, been in there since 08. Easy to clean, just park on a hill and hose it out.
    DSCN5007.jpg

22. Apr 18, 2024 at 5:41 PM
    Blackjp4dr

Blackjp4dr New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra CM MGM
    Get with Santana (real truck) on this forum, he will give you a discount.

23. Apr 18, 2024 at 6:05 PM
    paulphilly

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    '24 TRD Pro
    Thanks, I sent him a message yesterday but no luck hearing back yet.

24. Apr 18, 2024 at 6:23 PM
    PBNB

PBNB TRD Crew

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2022 Limited Crewmax L
    MBM - TRD Offroad
    I have an XLT in my 6.5’ bed.

The things I like about it are:
    - It weighs next to nothing so no payload hit like a 50 lbs rubber one.
    - Keeps things from sliding around. I can put all sorts of things back there and they in the same place when I get back to check on them.
    - Great if you are kneeling on the bed or tailgate.

I found it a bit pricy but the payload advantage pushed me to get it.

OldGuy03 and Mattedfred like this.
  25. Apr 19, 2024 at 2:57 AM
    Mattedfred

Mattedfred Toyota Fan Boy Since ‘04

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Cambridge, Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5 TRD Sport DC 4X4 in MGM
    TRD Skid Plate/Running Boards, Bison Soft Rollup Tonneau, Thule Canoe Rack, Bedmat, Tailgate Black Insert Badge, Northwest Seat Covers Neoprene Custom Fit Front Row Seat Covers. Tailgate Mat
    In that case I’ll stick with our OEM bed mat. During camping season we are constantly getting pine, spruce and cedar needles inside the bed, plus wood chips, sand and gravel.
    I’m happy to occasionally wash out our bed with the garden hose, but I’m not going to vacuum a truck bed.
    We tow with a truck instead of an SUV partly so we could avoid such tasks.

26. Apr 19, 2024 at 6:35 AM
    PBNB

PBNB TRD Crew

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2022 Limited Crewmax L
    MBM - TRD Offroad
    I recently cut some trees on our property and took a load of logs to a friend's place. The Bedrug was covered in sawdust and bark after the wood was delivered.

I just took a vacuum to it and it came out pretty good. It can also be removed just by pulling it off the velcro.

Rubber would be easier to clean.

Mattedfred likes this.
  27. Apr 19, 2024 at 10:45 AM
    Racer57

Racer57 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2024 1794
    I use my trucks for work. Not camping etc. My previous truck had the Bedrug already installed when I bought it new from Dealer. Had sharp objects catch and tear it when pulled out. I have the Rough County bedmat now.

Mattedfred likes this.
  28. Apr 19, 2024 at 12:44 PM
    Hella Krusty

Hella Krusty New Member

Member:
    I went a bought a roll end of carpet at the flooring place and cut it to fit the box on top of the rubber matt. easy to whip in and out, if it gets stained or wrecked, just go get another

IMG_2089.HEIC.jpg

29. Apr 19, 2024 at 12:58 PM
    CRFL82

CRFL82 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    SWFL
    Vehicle:
    2023 Lunar Rock SR5/TRD Sport
    That's a nice setup. How's it with getting sand out? I like how I can just use a push broom to get the sand out of the bed, but I was wanting to get a mat to get other items from getting torn up from the stock bed.

30. Apr 19, 2024 at 2:50 PM
    SD Surfer

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Thank you.

I haven't gotten a lot of sand in it to really answer that question. I keep a tarp back there just in case I need to lay it down for something.

I did have to go fill some sandbags before our last big rain, but I used some plastic tubs to haul them. I got a little sand in it that vacuumed out easily.

Shovel1.jpg

20230819_130404.jpg

20230819_121156.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top