1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Engine failure

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by Cjonez1993, May 19, 2023.

1. May 19, 2023 at 4:20 PM
    Breathing Borla

Breathing Borla I'd rather be fishing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Platinum 4x4 Crewmax
    solid advice , I can see that with this very thread , I just joined the gen 3 crowd very recently but this is my 5th tundra so I like them all

Seems like some just want it to fail for some unknown reason

Tundratic likes this.
  2. May 19, 2023 at 4:23 PM
    Breathing Borla

Member:
    Vehicle:
    your sure? How are you so sure ? Not being a jackass, just asking

3. May 19, 2023 at 4:31 PM
    Tundratic

Tundratic New (ish) member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 TRD OR 2023 Limited TRD OR
    ^this^

Human nature I guess. Already starting to see similar style opinions popping up in the Tacoma forums in anticipation of their new Gen.

4. May 19, 2023 at 4:58 PM
    AZBoatHauler

AZBoatHauler SSEM#140 / 2.5 gen plebe

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    So.Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2017 CrewMax 4x4, 2017 LandCruiser, 2005 Sequoia 4x4
    Demello / SOB Fab Bumpers, SuperWinch, WKOR sliders, RCI skids, Baja Designs lighting, Billy 6112 and 5160 w/ CB +2, JL Audio with Alpine HU, DD 10" Exhaust, LED headlights, Rago fab mounts, 35” BFG, HAM radio
    Need @Ruggybuggy or @ViktorG to tell us.

5. May 19, 2023 at 4:59 PM
    Winning8

Winning8 New Member

Member:
    Da Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM DC 4x4 SR5
    Mumba 18x9 ET 12, BFG KO2, FOX suspension, diamond back HD cover w/ rack, LED head & fog light bulb, TRD rear sway bar, timbren enhancement, RAS helper spring, avs auto shade, Carhartt front seat cover, bench seat cover
    IMO they use tundra to test out things, so the Tacoma will be solid

6. May 19, 2023 at 6:04 PM
    xc_tc

xc_tc New Member

Member:
    It’s not that bad. A lot of connectors are paired so it’s not like a pigtail from the engine can get connected to the wrong connector on the body side. The truck’s OBD will also tell you exactly which connections were missed as an open circuit. It’s really not hard.

Breathing Borla likes this.
  7. May 19, 2023 at 9:20 PM
    TILLY

TILLY Gently Used Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM TRD Sport D/C

How does asking questions about failures of a Gen we don't own, equate to wanting it to fail? I certainly don't want it to. Some of you 3rd Gen guys are way too sensitive for your own good.

Tyman, OHwendTrd, Toyotoholic and 4 others like this.
  8. May 19, 2023 at 9:46 PM
    AZBoatHauler

AZBoatHauler SSEM#140 / 2.5 gen plebe

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    So.Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2017 CrewMax 4x4, 2017 LandCruiser, 2005 Sequoia 4x4
    Demello / SOB Fab Bumpers, SuperWinch, WKOR sliders, RCI skids, Baja Designs lighting, Billy 6112 and 5160 w/ CB +2, JL Audio with Alpine HU, DD 10" Exhaust, LED headlights, Rago fab mounts, 35” BFG, HAM radio
    Trust me - I’d love for the truck to be a big success and plan to build one out to my liking... Even more I really want the wife to be in a new Sequoia but until the drivetrain is as reliable and trusted as the 4.0, 4.7, 5.7, (and maybe a Prius :anonymous:) I’ve owned before - I’m not interested.

des2mtn and MEWaters like this.
  9. May 19, 2023 at 10:19 PM
    Coal Dragger

Coal Dragger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 White Double Cab Limited 5.7L 4X4
    I wanted a faster vehicle so I also bought a Chevy SS... because 4 door sedans with big V8’s are hilarious.
    Meh. If you hear it grinding, it’s already trashed. Might as well get to your destination if you can in that case.

A new engine cost the same whether you only damaged it a little bit or a lot since these are evidently throw away motors if internals are damaged at all.

10. May 19, 2023 at 10:31 PM
    Hella Krusty

Hella Krusty New Member

Member:
    I have had the stupid Van ( work ) T100 / Tacoma / Corolla / 4Runner / another 4Runner / Venza / Tundra / 3rd Gen Tundra .....and it didnt even slow me down buying the 3rd Gen. Its reliable. Millions on the road and a handful of failures.....probably better than Ford and Dodge. Always remember when people are wanking about failures or mileage.....you have zippo idea how they drive these thing and where.

Its mechanical....mechanical shit breaks....its a fact.

Live for today because you may croak tomorrow while you are waiting for your perceived " reliabilty "

MrKABC, BoulderGT3, PBNB and 2 others like this.
  11. May 20, 2023 at 5:03 AM
    borla123

borla123 The Pits

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    18 Tundra TRD OR - 4Runner Torsen Full Time 4wd
    Driver Grip Handle Borla Dual, Line X, ESP Underseat
    @Cjonez1993

thank you for posting this. Sorry to hear about the trouble. Man that is a nasty noise.
    I have heard a couple engines die and it was anti-climactic.

Knock. knock....knock........knock....................knock..............................silence.

Hope you get taken care of well.
    What I would want to know is if this is not the case, extended down times, issues that go beyond being dealer related. That does not seem to be the case so far.

fwiw
    I think if this is posted in a Ford, GM, or RAM forum, the biggest concerns would be how long will you be out with your truck, what they are giving you as a loaner, and how much extended warranty you are getting.
    Some still don't seem to get that the old days are gone, and all these new trucks are complicated designs, and built during complicated times.
    They are all warranty trucks now. JMO
    My concern buying any new truck - Toyota included, would be I want to be relatively close
    (you define what close means to you - your time your money ) to a servicing Toyota dealer for whatever issues come up.

BoulderGT3 and AZBoatHauler like this.
  12. May 20, 2023 at 5:43 AM
    Breathing Borla

Member:
    Vehicle:
    nobody was saying anything about people “just asking questions “

I didn’t think anyone was being too sensitive , it’s an internet truck forum, I’ve been on them since 2000 with a 2000 tundra I got in late 1999, this one is super tame and informative

It is interesting to see that there seems to be some type of rift (not saying you) , between select people that don’t own the truck and or own the older truck and show up big time when there is a problem with the 22+

anyway, it doesn’t matter, have a good day and see ya around

WesternDawg and raylo like this.
  13. May 20, 2023 at 5:48 AM
    raylo

raylo not so new member

Member:
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5 DC 6.5 bed Lunar Rock, TRD OR +Options
    DashCam, amp and subwoofer, DIY rear seat delete
    Exactly. I once had a spun rod bearing on a 1987 IROC Camaro. Started knocking, oil pressure went to zero. Only thing was I was in FL, 1000 miles from home on a Saturday night. So, on Sunday I headed north intending to get as far as I could. Made it all the way, parked it at the dealer, and they put in a new motor under warranty. But even at its worst it sounded nowhere near as bad as the OP's here. Man, that thing sounds like it is eating itself to pieces.

14. May 20, 2023 at 7:18 AM
    Jb357

Jb357 New Member

Member:
    Exactly. Ever seen a big rig with the pedal on the floor while blowing antifreeze and rotella into the air like a geyser?
    It's already trashed. At least try to get it somewhere instead of the side of the road

15. May 20, 2023 at 8:17 AM
    vtl

vtl New Member

Member:
    Boston 'burbs
    Vehicle:
    2019 Red SR5 DC 4x4
    Doesn't matter, it is dead already. It's not like you drunk too much and made kidney upset for the next couple of days. but it will eventually heal. In fact, a safe RTB on almost dead engine is the best thing you can do in such situation, it saves your time and money.

16. May 20, 2023 at 8:25 AM
    Cjonez1993

Cjonez1993 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 tundra trd
    So far they gave me a brand new tundra to drive around so I can continue my day to day business. Sitting down with the GM next week to figure out all the other details, But they are hoping Ill be back in my truck at the end of next week supposably.. They gave me a new tundra that was lifted with wheels.

17. May 20, 2023 at 8:26 AM
    vtl

vtl New Member

Member:
    Boston 'burbs
    Vehicle:
    2019 Red SR5 DC 4x4
    Are you calling a sane buyer a troll? What Toyota does now with Tundra is pumping money from Tundra's now obsolete reputation of indestructible truck that lasts forever. We are all affined to the brand and actually deepen in sadness seeing Toyota's reputation going south. When our old good Tundras finally die out, what should we do? Buy what, that? No, thanks, I had engine failure in woods. Thanks, no.

We left with no good choice, Tundra was the last old school truck that worked. Seeing an unresolved issue killing engines with no mileage for straight 5 years raises questions if Toyota is even able to resolve it. And what else will go wrong, given apparently dropped engineering levels at Toyota?

Tyman, Toyotoholic and AZBoatHauler like this.
  18. May 20, 2023 at 9:00 AM
    Tundratic

Tundratic New (ish) member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 TRD OR 2023 Limited TRD OR
    Interesting video, not sure if it’s been posted on the forum before or not. If so, apologies for the duplication (I searched but didn’t see it).

https://youtu.be/zMPQOq3p-6Q

It’s a 14min video with compiled data from a few places (consumer reports, car complaints.com etc).

Main takeaway: the 3rd Gen Tundra still scores fairly high with reliability (so far). Fell to #2 behind the newest Gen Ram (yeah, I know!). But what is interesting, is when looking at historical data it seems the 2.5 Gen has its fair share of issues as well as the 2nd and so on. Despite many claiming the 2.5 is made of unobtanium.

One thing that seems to remain constant on all forums, across all brands is: the outgoing generation owners are the most critical of the new generation models. Take a peek over on the Tacoma forums. Anyone who owns a 2016-2023 Tacoma is pretty upset right now. Yet anyone coming from a different brand is pretty hyped up and optimistic.

Not calling anyone out specifically, just an interesting trend that seems to span across all brands. I understand each persons opinion is their own and I definitely respect that.

I feel for the OP and hope things are resolved quickly and efficiently. I have faith that Toyota will resolve/handle it better than most other brands would.

19. May 20, 2023 at 9:17 AM
    Breathing Borla

Member:
    Vehicle:
    thats kinda over the top man, this isn’t doing anything to the older truck’s reputation, it’s fine , Toyota is still the best truck in the past and currently

Nomoredomestics likes this.
  20. May 20, 2023 at 9:24 AM
    Winning8

Winning8 New Member

Member:
    Da Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM DC 4x4 SR5
    Mumba 18x9 ET 12, BFG KO2, FOX suspension, diamond back HD cover w/ rack, LED head & fog light bulb, TRD rear sway bar, timbren enhancement, RAS helper spring, avs auto shade, Carhartt front seat cover, bench seat cover
    I wouldn’t be too stress out on the 4 banger turbo, Toyota been making 4 banger since the day of time and they have multiple 4 banger hook up with turbo.

raylo and Breathing Borla like this.
  21. May 20, 2023 at 9:30 AM
    Breathing Borla

Member:
    Vehicle:
    we had a turbo mr2 and an celica all trac turbo back in the day also turbo Supra , all were super nice

this is a small bump in the road, small amount of failures and Toyota will figure it out, fix it, and stand behind thier product better than anyone else like they always do, the sky isn’t falling

we had all kinds of stuff on the other gens from 2000 on up, they will iron it out, he’ll the old head gasket fiasco in the older 3.0 v6 was another moment like this

op, when you sit down with the gm, calmly and nicely ask for a 10 year 125 warranty to make you more comfortable moving forward , see if you can get that for your inconvenience and confidence moving forward .

Last edited: May 20, 2023
    Toyotoholic and BoulderGT3 like this.
  22. May 20, 2023 at 9:41 AM
    Winning8

Winning8 New Member

Member:
    Da Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM DC 4x4 SR5
    Those are the fun time…:yes:

23. May 20, 2023 at 9:48 AM
    borla123

borla123 The Pits

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Thats Pretty cool man. Sounds like a great service dept. Tell them not to rush it !! The longer it takes and you keep their ride the better for you.
    I got our 4Runner oil changed at a country dealership for the first time about a month ago. Asked if I could get a shuttle ride into town to do some things. Guy says yeah man... take one of the two corollas out front. Fobs are on top of steering wheels. See you when you get back. No paperwork, licence. I just left. They even accepted my bought oil and charged me a nominal fee for the labor. My regular Toyota service dept would not accept my oil and wanted $40 more for the same oil change.

24. May 20, 2023 at 10:15 AM
    borla123

borla123 The Pits

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    The one that over charges and would not accept my oil - Newmarket - never going back there.
    They have changed. They are still great but they are like a Toronto service dept now.
    The country service dept I refer to - RACE

And let me just say something - the trucks I drive have no more warranty left. a 17 and 18.
    I have confidence in them (he knocks on wood).
    I hope all you guys that are running these new trucks develop the same confidence level in your vehicles.
    Even though it seems most of you change vehicles every 2-3 years anyway.
    If my vehicles need major service it will still be Toyota that does the work, unless i find a Toyota master tech that went rogue. Which is who I have (a former master tech for my 993). You wanna know how much an oil change for that car is at a dealer ?
    So hearing about Toyotas service depts and how they deal with an engine failure like this is very important to me.

Mattedfred[QUOTED] likes this.
  25. May 20, 2023 at 11:19 AM
    MrKABC

MrKABC Not so new Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Art
    Corona, CA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Mesquite 1794 TRD OR Hybrid
    I'm too broke after buying this rig to afford mods.
    Lol you want a reach around in addition to getting your engine replaced??

Mr Badwrench[QUOTED] likes this.
  26. May 20, 2023 at 11:23 AM
    Black widow TRD

Black widow TRD New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Manuel
    Vehicle:
    2023 Black Tundra SR5/TRD

What do you expect from Mr.Badwrench…

Mattedfred likes this.
  27. May 20, 2023 at 11:51 AM
    Mr Badwrench

Mr Badwrench New Member

Member:
    It'd be a nice gesture for sure ;)

28. May 20, 2023 at 1:36 PM
    Toyotoholic

Toyotoholic -4Life-

Member:
    First Name:
    Jmz
    Vehicle:
    17' MGM
    Pro suspension, sways
    This sucks for any member.
    Sorry OP

There's too much looking past the obvious for everyone (all gens). I have had 17 Toyota vehicles- mostly trucks. I bought new models, skipped some new models, bought some gens of this and that, but all Toyota. Yes I have a 17' now and LOVE IT. But, the 3rd gen is something I'll skip on. Not because 8 people had an engine failure, or some needed turbos, or wind noise, or ugly body styling, or disruptive issues. I'm skipping it just because of how much I love what I currently have. Why would I give away what I love? I don't buy into the "latest is always the greatest" because it isn't important.

I genuinely feel bad for any 3rd gen buyer who has a issue with their $70k Beautiful new truck. It's not because I'm trolling 3rd gen threads, not because I want the 3rd gen to fail, not because I think my shit doesn't stink. It's because I'm an enthusiast of the Toyota brand and mostly Toyota Trucks --- ALL OF THEM!
    It seems like anytime a pre-3rd gen member makes a comment on a 3rd gen thread, they are immediately smirked at for whatever they are saying. There could be a post by 2nd gen member complimenting the 3rd gen for the entire post except one thing, and then that one thing is all that seems to be paid attention to... Why?
    It reminds me of my marriage.
    I can compliment my wife all week and she hears none of it, until I say something she doesn't like... THEN IT'S WAR! Everyone needs to just take everything with a grain of salt and relax. If you don't like what someone posts them click "ignore" and you'll never have to read something you don't like. Wow, ignore it and MOVE ON.
    Last words: I love Toyota Trucks

Last edited: May 20, 2023
    Kap1, GODZILLA, Leek128 and 6 others like this.
  29. May 20, 2023 at 2:08 PM
    Winning8

Winning8 New Member

Member:
    Da Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM DC 4x4 SR5
    I love that 3rd gen, only problem is, it didn’t hit the mpg that I’m looking for. I’ll traded in my 19 for a new one, when it do 10 or more mpg better.

30. May 20, 2023 at 2:39 PM
    Breathing Borla

Member:
    Vehicle:

No way dude, you think your shit doesn’t stink , HA!

that was a funny, good post

i liked all my Toyotas too, my 16 was a good truck , it did have some problems , got super shitty mileage and rode like shit but I loved it anyway.

I was just ready for a new rig and waited until I got what I wanted and here it is. I did test gmc and ford and that was a no go, the tundra is much better

i still like my 2001 perhaps the best, I had a bad ass system in it, the trd interior from custom soft trim etc , sweet rig, 4.7 was nice and sounded good with a borla

Products Discussed in

To Top