1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

FIPG question??? timing belt replacement: prepaing to start

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Weagle, Oct 7, 2023.

1. Nov 7, 2023 at 3:53 PM
    Baller

Baller New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '05 Tundra SR5 DC
    When I did the job, I used the Gates HD belt. I'm an N of 1 but, everything has been fine so far with no signs of early or abnormal wear.

I went with the Aisin fan clutch. Thanks for the heads up. I just updated the parts list in the sticky to include the rad fan clutch.

This may have been me. It actually took more than ten hours but, at ten hours it really started to not get fun. If I started earlier, it may have not been as big of a deal. At hour ten is was getting close to 11:00 and I was just wanted to be done with the project. Also, this was the first timing belt I had ever done so, I'd consider my job having been done on the slower side of things. I did watch the videos a number of times and knew pretty well what to expect and as I was doing it, I knew what to do next. The best piece of advice I

I'll add that my pickup is lifted. It was nice when working from underneath. Working from above wasn't a real issue because you're only ever working on the front of the engine. If it were a job that needed attention towards the back of the engine bay, it would have been a bit of a pain.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2023
    DarkMint likes this.
  2. Nov 7, 2023 at 8:25 PM
    NickB_01TRD

NickB_01TRD You don't need less cars, just more driveway.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    KY
    Vehicle:
    01 Tundra V8 4X4 AC SR5 TRD
    Yes. @au.ramsey if you ordered from Amazon cancel your order now and get it from RockAuto. I got 2 bad ones in a row through Amazon a while back

Weagle[OP] and bmf4069 like this.
  3. Nov 8, 2023 at 4:07 AM
    bmf4069

bmf4069 Yup, that's a whole ass truck in a dishwasher

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    TX
    Vehicle:
    02 AC sr5 4wd v8
    All the bass
    Can confirm. Mine from RA arrived in perfect condition.

4. Nov 8, 2023 at 5:16 PM
    bfunke

bfunke Tundra Curmudgeon

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR-5 CM 5.7, 2000 SR-5 AC 4.7L
    I ordered a radiator from RA about a year ago. Came double boxed in perfect condition.

5. Jun 16, 2024 at 6:22 AM
    Weagle

Weagle [OP] Where the hell did I put that socket?

Member:
    Prattville, AL
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra SR5 DC 4.7 2WD LSD towing pkg
    Bilstein 5100's with 2883's - close to 2" Replacing the 2883's and going back to the bottom perch ASAP -mobile/apple play stereo with sub and backup cam -Power stop HD front calipers and rotors for towing -20" wheels with 32" tires (305/50's) Toyo AT 3's with no rubbing -Westin nerf bars -Detroit axle new (not rebuilt) steering rack with poly bushings, inner and outer TRE's -Suspension Maxx extended front sway bar links -Overland tuning - medium level -Power front leather seats and steering wheel from 06 Sequoia -fully de-chromed/blacked out trim -all light housings incl 3rd brake light and tag lights replaced with smoked lenses, LED where appropriate -mini projector headlights -fully rebuilt trans and new torque converter -new complete drive shaft with spicer u-joints and carrier bearing -all LED interior lights including backlighting -new lower window seals for all 4 doors -all new hardware and clips for tailgate Next: Dirty Deeds racing exhaust with LT headers, yellow box, 12 hole DD fuel injectors, redo or replace door panels
    OK, I'm getting ready to tackle within the next two weeks once I've watched enough videos and confirmed I have everything I need. I finally found my record for the last timing belt change from my old shop and now I am approaching the miles limit within the next 500 miles

As I discovered earlier, the shop that did the last timing belt change used green coolant. Therefore, I will do about three flushes including draining in the engine block to ensure the green is gone. I bought aftermarket premixed coolant for the flush and Toyota for the final

Aisin kit, Denso radiator, serpentine belt, Gates serpentine belt, bearings, and crankshaft seal from Ourisman Toyota.

What's missing? Radiator cap, thermostat, radiator hoses

IMG_6917.jpg

Hopefully, I will watch enough videos and everything will go smooth. However, knowing me and the fact that I've never done this before, this project will take me 3 or 4 times as long and I'll have several questions, hence this thread for when I'm stymied and need help

Last edited: Jun 16, 2024
  6. Jun 16, 2024 at 8:56 AM
    bfunke

bfunke Tundra Curmudgeon

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    When I made the switch from Green the PO used to pink, I first drained as much as I could using the stopcock on the radiator, then I removed the lower radiator hose at the radiator and opened the brass block drains. Following this I filled and drained the system 3x with distilled water which is cheap. After that I filled it once with Xerex pink and then drove a couple miles and drained again and finally refilled with pink. Interestingly, pink seems to crust more at leaks and enabled me to find a mysterious very slow leak at the rear water crossover pipe gasket that green never showed.. I have to top off the reservoir and will eventually pull the intake to get to it and at that point I’ll replace whatever I have to drain with new pink.

whodatschrome and Weagle[OP] like this.
  7. Jun 16, 2024 at 8:58 AM
    bfunke

bfunke Tundra Curmudgeon

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    I don’t see cam seals. I know it’s a bit harder on your VVT 4.7 but you may want to consider replacing those.

Weagle[OP] likes this.
  8. Jun 16, 2024 at 8:59 AM
    bfunke

bfunke Tundra Curmudgeon

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    And don’t forget FIPG for the water pump.

jimf909, AZBoatHauler and Weagle[OP] like this.
  9. Jun 16, 2024 at 9:47 AM
    Weagle

Member:
    Prattville, AL
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100's with 2883's - close to 2" Replacing the 2883's and going back to the bottom perch ASAP -mobile/apple play stereo with sub and backup cam -Power stop HD front calipers and rotors for towing -20" wheels with 32" tires (305/50's) Toyo AT 3's with no rubbing -Westin nerf bars -Detroit axle new (not rebuilt) steering rack with poly bushings, inner and outer TRE's -Suspension Maxx extended front sway bar links -Overland tuning - medium level -Power front leather seats and steering wheel from 06 Sequoia -fully de-chromed/blacked out trim -all light housings incl 3rd brake light and tag lights replaced with smoked lenses, LED where appropriate -mini projector headlights -fully rebuilt trans and new torque converter -new complete drive shaft with spicer u-joints and carrier bearing -all LED interior lights including backlighting -new lower window seals for all 4 doors -all new hardware and clips for tailgate Next: Dirty Deeds racing exhaust with LT headers, yellow box, 12 hole DD fuel injectors, redo or replace door panels
    I thought I had ordered the camshaft seals per @shifty` recommendation. I'll have to double check that and be sure I didn't put them somewhere else

There were two different bearings. I don't recall what those were.

IMG_6917.jpg

AZBoatHauler likes this.
  10. Jun 17, 2024 at 2:15 AM
    w666

w666 D. None of the above

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    04 Access Cab SR5 V8 4WD
    None yet
    Save yourself a few $$ by using distilled water instead for the interim "flushes". When the water gets clearer (it never really gets clear) then go ahead and add your 50/50 coolant.

11. Jun 17, 2024 at 4:42 AM
    Weagle

Member:
    Prattville, AL
    Vehicle:
    Probably my OCD kicking in but since I'm using the pre-mixed, having a quart or so of distilled water would dilute it. I want it to be good for 100,000 miles as advertised

i'm using the Peak brand of 50/50 for toyota's for the flushes and saving the Toyota OEM for the final fill

12. Jun 17, 2024 at 4:47 AM
    w666

w666 D. None of the above

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    04 Access Cab SR5 V8 4WD
    None yet
    Sorry, you mis-understood. Drain ALL the water, then add your 50/50. I just did this to a Toyota that had blue coolant.
    1. Drain the coolant
    2. Add distilled water, run the engine (with heater on)
    3. Drain the coolant/water mix.
    4. Add distilled water, run the engine (with the heater on)
    5. Drain the water/coolant mix
    6. Now add your 50/50 coolant and burp the system

Distilled water is way cheaper than peak

Weagle[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  13. Jun 17, 2024 at 4:51 AM
    Weagle

Member:
    Prattville, AL
    Vehicle:
    I don't think you ever get 100% of the old coolant/fluid out during a flush. Kind of like our transmissions.

In fact, when I've read the capacity, it states the capacity for the first fill only because you don't ever get all of the old coolant/water out

I do appreciate the suggestion and I'm know that's cheaper and probably works just fine

14. Jul 11, 2024 at 7:56 AM
    Weagle

Member:
    Prattville, AL
    Vehicle:
    OK, finally ready to do my timing belt this weekend. It's within 500 miles of the mileage recs.

Do I need to use the Toyota 1282B at $100?

What I've read Permatex the right stuff grey and Aisin (below) or acceptable alternatives for a fraction of the price

I'm more than happy to use Toyota parts when they're proven to be by far the best such as lower ball joints. But $100 for a one time use is a bit steep versus $30

All three are available within 25 minutes. I can't wait for mail order since I plan to start tomorrow and have all other parts.

IMG_7351.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top