1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Installed beat sonic front camera and harness

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by SiberianTundra, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Mar 2, 2020 at 8:18 AM
    purplenova

purplenova Not a new member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax SR5
    Pillar Tape, Bullet Liner, 20% Tint, Tyger Star Armor Kenwood Amp Tech12volts JL Tweeters Dasaita G13 Head Unit Fumoto Oil Valve Driver Side Grab Handle

I read every post in his FRAC Harness thread and did not see anything about a switch for the blanks, just the two round switches that required you to drill into something for the second switch or find a second location, which I dont have available.

We shall see how it goes - all else fails - it'll all go back...

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  2. Mar 2, 2020 at 8:25 AM
    Jim LE 1301

Jim LE 1301 Camaro Lover, SSEM # 11,TTC#179

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport Double Cab
    Hopefully it goes well. You can get switches for the blanks from other places or just drill the removable blank cover and put it in there.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  3. Mar 2, 2020 at 8:32 AM
    purplenova

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax SR5
    Pillar Tape, Bullet Liner, 20% Tint, Tyger Star Armor Kenwood Amp Tech12volts JL Tweeters Dasaita G13 Head Unit Fumoto Oil Valve Driver Side Grab Handle

the harness/interface will be delivered today, so we shall see. Already got questions due to the chinese instructions with the camera
    that I cant read... lol and according to Beat-Sonic nothing needs grounded cause its all built into their harness.

4. Mar 2, 2020 at 8:47 AM
    Jim LE 1301

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    :fingerscrossed:

purplenova[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Mar 2, 2020 at 10:26 AM
    abomb60

abomb60 Maker of things

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra 1794 MGM
    I was wondering this as well. The FRAC harness takes less time to install than it does to remove the radio from the dash. Grab a $12 camera from Amazon and run the wire is simple enough. I didn't have any blanks in my 1794 so I just drilled a couple holes in the plastic above the 12v socket panel for the switches. Think I was done with the install in 45 minutes total and if I hit the camera on something (mounted it below the license plate) it's $12 so I can replace it almost 15 times before I spend $175!

Jim LE 1301[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Mar 2, 2020 at 11:46 AM
    Jim LE 1301

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    :thumbsup:

7. Mar 2, 2020 at 12:05 PM
    purplenova

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax SR5

The FRAC harness is $188.00 plus shipping, plus the cost of a camera. Did I miss something ????

8. Mar 2, 2020 at 1:00 PM
    abomb60

abomb60 Maker of things

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra 1794 MGM
    I bought it since it was plug and play and to support a forum member but that's just me.

9. Mar 2, 2020 at 1:08 PM
    purplenova

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax SR5
    Right I get it, the other unit is plug and play as well. all same connections and is actually priced less than the FRAC harness.
    Just a bit confused on the "can replace it almost 15 times before I spend $175!" quote.
    And if support for my purchase doesnt pan out I will be sending it back and possibly getting the FRAC harness in its place.

10. Mar 2, 2020 at 2:14 PM
    abomb60

abomb60 Maker of things

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra 1794 MGM
    That quote was for replacement of the $12 camera.

11. Mar 3, 2020 at 8:53 AM
    TundraTex

TundraTex FRAC On!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    '16 TSS CM 4x4

I don’t really know how the competitor’s product holds up, or how difficult it is to install. I imagine it’s similar to the FRAC. But cost-wise, you actually get two functions with the FRAC Harness; Front/Rear Anytime Camera and VIM. The price of their VIM “bypass” harness adds $150. So you have to pay them $325 to equal the functionality of the FRAC Harness.

But if all you want is the camera function you will save $4 going with them (plus shipping).

HulkSmurf14 likes this.
  12. Mar 3, 2020 at 8:56 AM
    TundraTex

TundraTex FRAC On!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    '16 TSS CM 4x4
    The $188.00 includes shipping to all destinations in the United States.

You have to buy your own camera with the other harness as well. Fortunately you can get a great camera for under $40. My $30 camera has been going strong for over three years now.

13. Mar 3, 2020 at 9:08 AM
    TundraTex

TundraTex FRAC On!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    '16 TSS CM 4x4
    That’s the camera I used when I first installed my original FRAC Harness. Over three years and still going strong.

14. Mar 3, 2020 at 9:09 AM
    purplenova

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax SR5
    I looked at yours, the beat-sonic unit and one other, cant remember the name and all three were virtually Identical and priced about the same.
    The only reason i chose the beat-sonic unit was the single switch and all I have is one open blank.

Guess prolly should have asked you a bunch of questions regarding my truck but I did not. Please dont take my purchase as a slight to you or your FRAC harness
    it was not meant to be that way, just a simple choice on my end. Hopefully it doesnt bite me in the rear.

And BTW - I purchased the camera you used in your original design.

TundraTex[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Mar 3, 2020 at 9:12 AM
    TundraTex

TundraTex FRAC On!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    '16 TSS CM 4x4
    I will never hold it against someone for making their own purchasing decisions and I take no offense if they don’t choose my product. I just wanted to clarify the differences so folks can make informed decisions.

Thanks for your post and input though. If someone just wants the camera function, they only need to install one switch. I probably need to make that more clear.

16. Mar 4, 2020 at 8:35 PM
    Chewy65

Chewy65 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Tundra SR5 DC
    Level kit, upgraded speakers/amp., compustar drone system, changed center seat for center console
    Can you please post a couple of pictures of it mounted on the truck?

17. Mar 4, 2020 at 10:13 PM
    SiberianTundra

SiberianTundra [OP] I heard Unicorns get horrible MPG

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    War Machine
    Camper shell, LED lighting VLEDs, Front Camera, Pro Comp wheels. Trd HID LED headlights. ESP storage rear seats.
    pictures of what the switch or camera ?

18. Mar 5, 2020 at 4:00 AM
    coTony

coTony member since sept, 2017 and a BUNCH of messages

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Sun Lakes, AZ
    Vehicle:
    *** OV Tune Order #4481 *** ECU 0CN21 ***
    2018 Tundra Platinum with Icon Stage 9 w/3.0 and billet UCA, Harrop Elockers, 5.29 on 37’s
    Well not every trim package has blanks for switches and also the choice of switch in my opinion was a great move to keep the cost down. Anybody can swap the switch when they get the harness to fit your needs. The small size of the switches that come with the FRAC harness is ideal to "hide" up under the AC Control knobs. I have a post I posted up on @TundraTex thread on the install showing what I did. I have both switches installed up under there and they cannot be seen. I also installed 2 other switches (a total of 4 switches down there and cannot really be seen) and have not had any problems since my install a few years ago.

EDIT: I found my post after my initial install and it can be found here in post #34:
    https://www.tundras.com/threads/show-us-your-frac-installation.17037/page-2#post-456283

I am adding a pic showing the 4 connectors I added down there. The I added the 4th switch after this pic was taken, it was for my NANNY switch and the same kind of switch as the Bed Light Switch where the red arrow is pointing.
    FRAC1.jpg

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    TundraTex and SiberianTundra[OP] like this.
  19. Apr 20, 2020 at 10:08 AM
    Mater

Mater New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    SD
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Platinum
    Figured I'd post an update for anyone considering the Beat-Sonic for the front camera mod. I've had it for a year now and it's great. The single button design (very professional OEM looking switch) makes for a clean install with no need to cut holes. Also, the switch is lit at night so you don't have to fumble around trying to find it to turn on your front camera. You can adjust how long the front camera stays on for once you hit the switch. I have mine set for thirty seconds (usually doesnt take me longer than that to park) and then it automatically returns to the radio screen.. no need to hit the switch again to return to the radio screen. You can also have the switch programmed so that when you hit it once, the front camera will stay on indefinitely until you hit the switch again to turn it off. Also can have it programmed so that the front camera will automatically turn on when you're driving at slow speeds (not sure if the other FRAC modules can do this).

As for customer service, its top notch. I created an electrical short in my truck and neither my front or rear camera would work. I emailed beat sonic and they replied with a troubleshooting guide within 15 minutes on how to reset the module. Has been working great ever since.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    purplenova likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top