1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tundra replacement for F250 money pit

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by 99blaster, Apr 17, 2024.

1. Apr 17, 2024 at 8:49 PM
    99blaster

99blaster [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    So currently my family have a 2012 f250 6.7l and we're sick and tired of it being a money pit. We have aleast put in as much or more in repairs as it is worth, and are going into debt because of it. We used to have a 08 5.7l tundra but on a trip to texas to get a horse we got in a car accident and totalled the tundra, after we could not stop after someone cut someone else off and they slammed on their brakes. Our horse trailer is a gooseneck 2 horse trailer with living quarters gvwr is around 12,000lbs. We want to go back to having a tundra because of the reilability. When we got into that car accident, I think I had the trailer brakes on too high which resulted in having the trailer locking its brakes up. The gooseneck actually popped off the hitch and ran into the back of the bed when we hit the vehicle in front of us. My question is could a tundra stop this trailer if I installed a big brake kit aswell as a abs system on the trailer? Like I said this truck we have is literally putting my mother and I into enough debt. Our old tundra pulled the trailer perfectly, and it really didnt seem to care to pull it. But my mother is afraid that it wont stop our trailer even when I think it was partly my fault with having the trailer brakes too high. We are going camping this week with the trailer and im going to get the trailer scaled with both horses, tack, etc to find out how much this thing actually weighs.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  2. Apr 17, 2024 at 8:56 PM
    RobertD

RobertD SSEM#123, ASCM#4 "I call it Vera" ~Jayne Cobb

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue SR5 4x4 Crewmax
    Neither the 2.5 gen or the 3rd gen are rated for that much weight or a gooseneck. We have folks with more knowledge who will weigh in with better info, but I don't think the Tundra is the right choice if that is what you are needing to pull.

Luckster, woods and GODZILLA like this.
  3. Apr 17, 2024 at 9:55 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Hey Ben, welcome to the site.

I will flat out not bullshit you because I was in a similar situation about 8 years ago (minus the accident or gooseneck). I blew through a stoplight with my Tundra and travel trailer and by luck nobody was in the intersection. That was the last camping trip with my 2nd Gen tundra until I purchased my 1 ton diesel.

So let's talk first about your Ford. I'm sure you have done a turbo and/or turbo leaks in the valley, some leaking egr gaskets, transmission (pump went out), DPF issues and could be more if you daily drive the diesel. All common issues for 2011-2014 F series trucks.

The current or past tundras just don't have what you need to pull a GN trailer safely at 12k lbs. I doubt the brakes caused your coupler to come loose, but I would be willing to bet some silver it was the impact. Only reason I say that is I have flat out locked up my trailer brakes on my GN that was maxed out (16k rated) and it felt like my tailgate was going to be ripped off due to how hard my ass end squatted. Now if the horse trailer wasn't coupled up correctly...all bets are off.

If it was my money, a 2024-25 GM 2500/3500 with the 6.6L gas motor and 10 speed Allison would be seriously looked at....especially if you daily drive your truck.

Black Wolf, woods, OHwendTrd and 6 others like this.
  4. Apr 18, 2024 at 6:20 AM
    bonefish

bonefish New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Treasure Coast Florida
  5. Apr 18, 2024 at 6:35 AM
    TundraClayDigger

TundraClayDigger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Crewmax Limited 4X4
    I love my Tundra and I have had Toyotas since 1980, but you need a real truck when you are at 12000 lbs. You would be super unsafe in a Tundra no matter what mods you do to it. Buy a (Heavy Duty) GM, Chev, Ram or Ford and buy a 10 year warranty with it and you will be covered for awhile.

Luckster likes this.
  6. Apr 18, 2024 at 9:46 AM
    99blaster

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    I dont think my mother and I could afford a new 3/4 ton truck. But isnt gvwr only mean the total weight of which the trailer can hold, and isnt having a gooseneck better than pulling a bumper pull? Ive already had to replace the transmission, injectors, upper and lower oil pan gaskets twice, turbo. The a/c compressor just went out on it, and soon the dpf is going to go out which is gonna cost 5k cash to delete it, according to our diesel shop. Will it help if I got it all weighed in to know the exact weight of everything with the horses and luggage? Our 2008 hauled it just fine, it really didn't have any problem, I just thought it was a brake issue or do you really think it doesn't matter whether or not it weighs 12000lbs or 10000lbs? The reilability of the tundras are just so much better than any other truck.

7. Apr 20, 2024 at 11:32 PM
    OldGuy03

OldGuy03 Still new here, but working on it

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    CO
    Vehicle:
    12 MGM DC RW
    What @ColoradoTJ is spot on. The Tundra isn't meant to pull that much weight, even if your 08 felt like it could.

Luckster and ColoradoTJ like this.
  8. Apr 21, 2024 at 4:08 AM
    OHwendTrd

OHwendTrd Aging Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    OH
    Vehicle:
    21 SR5
    ATF Cooler
    As others said, HD is what you need. If a new one is out of the budget, a good used one, not a LD Tundra.

Edit: quick search, ton of excellent newer used options out there far below the cost of a Tundra. My preference would be a used Chevrolet, of the 3.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2024
    OldGuy03 likes this.
  9. Apr 21, 2024 at 9:22 AM
    99blaster

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    I think were gonna try to stay with our f250 for as long as possible. The dpf systems about to go out after almost 200,000 miles thats gonna be 5k and the a/c compressor just went out which is ok if its orginal. It has a new KC turbo, new injectors, built transmission that I built myself with Warren diesel valvebody and stage 1 clutches. I might as well stick with it while most of the problematic issues are now new or built better. I just miss my tundra alot, out of 200,000 miles all I replaced on it was two starters. Wish toyota made a 3/4 ton... Thanks everyone!

Leo's first likes this.
  10. Apr 25, 2024 at 2:29 PM
    webby

webby New Member

Member:
    Southwest Desert
    I agree with what others have said. The Tundra is a wonderful and capable truck, but not even close to being designed for that load. We have a vintage pre-emission 2004 Ram 2500 diesel. It is nowhere near as powerful as the newer diesel trucks. However, we recently towed a fifth wheel RV we bought, which would have been at about !3,000 lbs as towed, and the old Cummins diesel towed it without issue. This included going from 1100 ft to 7700 ft elevation. You need a diesel 3/4 or probably preferably 1 ton diesel for the load you're hauling.

I would agree with what has been said, that since you already have so much invested in your current truck, to go with what you have for now.

Products Discussed in

To Top